Junior classifications - longbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
As the longbow classifications are adult-based (?), has anyone got any sort of scheme going that's more geared towards Junior longbow shooters?

My youngest ( U12 with first class on recurve) is shooting longbow and seems to be doing OK, but I think he'd like something he could measure against that goes a bit further than a handicap. Other than the Rose awards I'm not really sure where to look?

Anyone got any good ideas?

Does anyone know of the new handicap/classifications will include anything for junior longbow?

nelly

Yes, annoying isnt it. I have found the same problem.

When you have a lot of junior members in a club, with most of them showing an interest in longbow, and used to having the structure of a recurve classification system, its hard to explain to them why no one at GNAS seems to be bothered enough to put together a clasification table.

You could try contacting GNAS but im sure they would give the excuse of not enough interested juniors. Although, interestingly, there are full junior compound tables and you dont exactly drown under the weight of kids shooting compound at the competitions ive been to.

vics

My son has the same problem, he too shoots longbow.
The only thing i can suggest is the archery in schools badges, they are set out for recurve scores, but a longbow archer can attain them by submitting 40% of the recurve total.
Useful website to look on is:The junior archery homepage.
or go to wakefield archers webpage, then click on the ass and gnas sign at the right hand side of the page.

hope this helps.

Furface

Supporter
Its hard to explain to them why no one at GNAS seems to be bothered enough to put together a clasification table.

You could try contacting GNAS but im sure they would give the excuse of not enough interested juniors. Although, interestingly, there are full junior compound tables and you dont exactly drown under the weight of kids shooting compound at the competitions ive been to.
Actually it's quite easy, and you have done it yourself.
In the exercise to create longbow classifications, all longbow archers were asked to submit scores to build up the required picture. VERY few junior longbow scores came in. So either a) there were not enough juniors shooting longbow to create a valid table or b) not enough juniors were interested enough to submit their scores.
Remember, it is not enough to go simply on competition scores, as that ignores the vast majority of shooting, and would skew the whole picture.

DeeH

My youngest son has just gone over to longbow after shooting his first full year at recurve. Plus two other boys have now decided that they would prefer to go to longbow after shooting recurve barebow for a while. (U14/U12's).
So is there not a way that we can submit their score in to someone, from club shoots, so as to get a junior classification up an running?

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
My eldest is sticking with his longbow despite the beginner's course.. he's only 9 though. Maybe we should put some scores up here, to get a general idea?

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
My son has the same problem, he too shoots longbow.
The only thing i can suggest is the archery in schools badges, they are set out for recurve scores, but a longbow archer can attain them by submitting 40% of the recurve total.
Useful website to look on is:The junior archery homepage.
or go to wakefield archers webpage, then click on the ass and gnas sign at the right hand side of the page.

hope this helps.
Thanks Vics - made me think about something anyway. I'm off to have a play with the recurve tables and a spreadsheet. When done I'll publish them for people to look at (good bad or indifferent!)

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Longbow is what appeals to my middle daughter as well, eldest shoots compound limited in field archery and doesn't really like target that much but 7yr old Emily just starting wants to try it all with her Little coyote http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2....com/50271695120ed6638/50317098530ea913e.html
That's a nice-looking little bow!

To be honest I've seen far more juniors on compound than longbow so I fully understand why there were not enough scores to work from. Maybe if junior longbow is on the increase now would be a good time to work on a junior classification scheme? If there's no plans to do so in the rewrite of the tables currently in progress, then maybe.... (oops nearly had a volunteering attack):muted: :cheerful: :cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.