Left-wing or Right-wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laminatekid

little_john said:
Should I be using left-wing feathers for my fletches? I'm a right-handed archer.
does not really matter as the arrow only starts to spin when its left the bow just make sure you only use all left or all right on an arrow and you will be fine

Macbow

As Lamkid says. Makes no difference as long as all your arrows are fletched the same - video footage shows shafts don't spin until they have left the bow.

joelondon

Fonz Awardee
Had a question to do with the left or right wing, but not based on which hand I shoot.

Could anyone advise which are easier to buy/cheaper/greater demand out of the 2?

the reason I ask is I am buying a feather cutter and have to choose left or right.

I have only bought feathers cut ready to go before and always seem to end up with lefty ones, but wanted to ask what people have experienced out there with regards availability and cost especially full feathers.

cheers

joe

not dead yet

Ironman
damn good question...dont think it really matters people have used my l/hand spin wings for right handed archers.

smog

I'm right handed, and my son is a leftie. More often than not he would forget to pick up his arrows. So at the club it would be "dad, can I borrow some arrows?" There was no difference in flight between the two of us.

So provided the arrows are all consistantly from the same wing, then no problems.

s

gino

Yeah I've heard somewhere that UK standard is left wing unless you go out there and specifically look for right wing.

kernowtom

left or right

Ascham suggested you should have some arrows with left wing fletches and some with right. He thought that you needed to pick the wing according to the wind, and that you shouldn't have the feather and wind going the same way or "the shaft will be caryed to much". I do not know of any modern support for this theory. However I do seem to recall that if you spin a cylinder in an airflow, a low pressure side is created so perhaps there is something in it. I just don't think my archery is good enough to need this level of refinement!!!!
tom

Windknot

It really doesn't make a difference- I've shot identical arrows, save for the feathers- result was a nice cluster at twenty yards. Backing off made the group bigger, but at no point did the LH and RH arrows seperate into two distinct groups. FWIW I used Easton Platinum Plus 2016's fletched with 5" shield cut feathers and as much helical as I can get with my Bitzenburger jigs. And I shot off the shelf.

LW feathers are the most popular in the UK, so you can occasionally get a deal on the "unpopular" RW feathers from retailers who are struggling to move them.

If you are looking for RW feathers and need a sure supply try Carol Archery or Arms of Old.

madmac

Ascham suggested you should have some arrows with left wing fletches and some with right. He thought that you needed to pick the wing according to the wind, and that you shouldn't have the feather and wind going the same way or "the shaft will be caryed to much". I do not know of any modern support for this theory. However I do seem to recall that if you spin a cylinder in an airflow, a low pressure side is created so perhaps there is something in it. I just don't think my archery is good enough to need this level of refinement!!!!
tom
In kyudo they also have one arrow with left wing feathers and one with right wing feathers so you wouldnt be too accurate and Robin hood them:laughing::cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.