Lessening draw weight whilst increasing draw length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolflore

Hi

I'm guessing that for a longbow of set length 'x' if you want to reduce the draw weight and increase draw length then you can just increase the length of the bow string? Or is there more to it than that?

Cheers in advance for what may seem a stupid question.

greygoose

Hi

I'm guessing that for a longbow of set length 'x' if you want to reduce the draw weight and increase draw length then you can just increase the length of the bow string? Or is there more to it than that?

Cheers in advance for what may seem a stupid question.
Hi Wolflore,
The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
Unfortunatly there is more to it as you rightly seem to suspect.
I am sure one of the "longbowers" will be along to fully explain why.
Regards

Si2

The issue with a long string is the brace height - you'll end up with the string hitting your hand if it's too slack.
If you want extra draw length then you need longer arrows, but you're gonna have to pull harder to get it back there.

If it's a wooden longbow, then you can shave down the limbs to make it less heavy.

MIght be a good idea to take it to someone who knows what they are doing though.

SI

Wolflore

I should maybe of made myself clearer from the outset as to the purpose, but I thought it best not to interfere with the process that is the forum-mind.

My reasoning for asking the question is a simple one, but I realised that it would have a broader audience if I left it as was for the time being. I have an old 1960s 'plastic' (I think) bow. It is 32# @ 27". I'm not sure as to it's history but want to use it as a tool for measuring draw length. At the moment, drawn to my draw length it is pulling goodness only knows what poundage. I just wanted to drop the poundage to make it a lighter bow for measuring purposes. I knew there would be issues around 'just adjusting the bowstring length' hence me not explaining initially.

Cheers Si2 and Greygoose.

Si2

If you are not shooting it then you are fine.
Even a bit of elastic would do to find draw length.

Status
Not open for further replies.