Longbow advice please??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rgsphoto

OK I'm looking to buy a longbow. They seem quite difficult to buy on ebay just now and I have been advised on here to avoid used ones. So it looks like I'm going to have to shell out ?200 for a decent one:melodrama

Well I don't do compromise, even though it's just for a bit of fun etc, I may use it for the odd tournament and would like to keep my options open and buy a decent one.

What do I need to shoot to a distance of 100 yds? What draw weight and what type of construction? I know I can probably cope with 50-55lb. Will this do the job?

Can anyone recomend a Bowyer who can supply one for this sort of money?

So far I'm looking at Yewtree archery or a Bickerstaffe of some sort, anyone else out there who can supply?

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
Try Keith at Yewtreearchery (and say you were sent by Louise) I can't remember the club discount number but can look it up for you. He does custom longbows reasonably cheap :)

R

rgsphoto

Kellog said:
Try Keith at Yewtreearchery (and say you were sent by Louise) I can't remember the club discount number but can look it up for you. He does custom longbows reasonably cheap :)
So far Keith is very high on my list. Cheers

Bald Eagle

If "fun" is finding your arows in the grass , well good luck.The longbow is the hardest disciplne to master. We have guys in our club who have been shooting for years and still miss at 60 yds.We spend most of the night looking for their arrows, despite having a backstop net which they decline to errect. I'm sorry to say this, but shooting a longbow is an excuse to miss! In my experience, longbow archers are failed recurve archers, it's a dead bow, bury it, get a compound!!If I was still missing after years of shooting it I would be asking myself a few questions as to why. Bring on the flak, I don't care, keep longbows over the fire as a talking point, or better still, light the fires with them!!

R

rgsphoto

Bald Eagle said:
If "fun" is finding your arows in the grass , well good luck.The longbow is the hardest disciplne to master. We have guys in our club who have been shooting for years and still miss at 60 yds.We spend most of the night looking for their arrows, despite having a backstop net which they decline to errect. I'm sorry to say this, but shooting a longbow is an excuse to miss! In my experience, longbow archers are failed recurve archers, it's a dead bow, bury it, get a compound!!If I was still missing after years of shooting it I would be asking myself a few questions as to why. Bring on the flak, I don't care, keep longbows over the fire as a talking point, or better still, light the fires with them!!
I have shot all three types of bow Mr Eagle, I am fully aware of the pro's and cons of all types of bow too. It seems today is the day for sweeping statements. Like you I don't care either, I'm getting one and I'm going to enjoy shooting it, and I will shoot it with pride and a smile on my face. Unlike you, I am capable of change, I now have respect for all forms of archery and feel we should all live and let live.:cheerful:

Gibbon

Bald Eagle said:
shooting longbow is an excuse to miss you say??
why? is there something wrong with the bow?
surely if you take a nice longbow it will be consistant enough to hit every time.... assuming that the archer is good enough :raspberry

Bald Eagle

You've hit the nail on the head Gibbon, I too have shot all disciplines and did well in all and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences, but why do longbowmen have to shoot together? Why can't they mix in with other disciplines? Why do they mock other disciplines as though theirs is the only "true" bow? I admire longbow archers who shoot well but they seem to be few and far between. I love the new woods that are used in longbow making, i.e. Bamboo,but why are they still missing the boss and ricochetting off tres in the wood?

Bald Eagle

P.S. Bickerstaffes are Brilliant, Paul Cromack in Whitby makes a beautiful bow too,Rod Lyons in Merseyside makes a good bow as well!!!!

R

rgsphoto

Bald Eagle said:
You've hit the nail on the head Gibbon, I too have shot all disciplines and did well in all and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences, but why do longbowmen have to shoot together? Why can't they mix in with other disciplines? Why do they mock other disciplines as though theirs is the only "true" bow? I admire longbow archers who shoot well but they seem to be few and far between. I love the new woods that are used in longbow making, i.e. Bamboo,but why are they still missing the boss and ricochetting off tres in the wood?
I agree with you on this BE, some longbow archers can be a little odd and can have huge chips on there shoulder oozing tradition and such like. Well I for one intend not to be like that, I will shoot with anyone and everyone, and not all longbow archers are like that anyway. Why do they miss all the time? For the very reasons you described earlier, lack of commitment, not taking it seriously and using it as an excuse to miss. But none of that is the fault of the longbow is it? It is a very difficult bow to shoot, not idealy suited to people who do not realy want to do it properly.

Like every thing I do I will do it to the best of my ability, pulling arrows out of the grass is something I do not intend to do for long.:cheerful:

I had a chat with Keith from yewtree archey, he is the chap who will make my bow. reality check on my part, to reach 100 yds I need a bow of about 60lb DW, no way can I shoot one like that, I'm going for a 50lb and leave the macho stuff to the worm hunters.

Raedwald

Bald Eagle said:
Just like to point out that, at a 3D Field Shoot earlier this year, a compound archer got a ricochet off the top of a target..... the arrow sailed a fair few yards, landing in the car park (after hitting a car).

So less of the "compounds hit, longbows miss" - they can both do both. And a compound will miss a lot further than a longbow!

:stirthepo

R

rgsphoto

Hang on, I don't see a great deal of advice going on her, more a case of lets slag off bow types again....come on...where is the advice bit?

English Bowman

With the right arrows there is no reason that you shouldn't hit the 100yd target with 50lbs. A club member is currently doing just that with a 50lb Bickerstaffe lemonwood hickory bow, so it can be done.

As for Bald Eagle, if you can't be constructive, please say nothing. Saying that longbows are good for firewood only is designed to provoke and does just that. I can hit 100 yds more than I miss it with my longbow, and when I do miss the arrows are easily found, unlike carbons with a flat trajectory that bury themselves. And so on and so forth. The arguments prove nothing, you hate longbows, I love them. I won't persuade you that the longbow is a worthy weapon, and you won't persuade me it isn't. If you don't like longbows, stay out of the longbow discussion area, simple.
Oh and Bamboo is not new, nor is it a wood, at least get your facts straight.

Daniel

R

rgsphoto

flamingbladerider said:
rgsphoto Checkout Ebay item No 190007642728
Yes I'v seen it. I rang Keith last night regarding his longbows. He said another one was going on ebay. It will have to run it's course and will probably sell for more than the ones listed on his sight. He like me, did wonder why people pay more for stuff on ebay? Anyway, he will make any bow I like in 4 to 5 weeks. I'm just waiting for my compound to sell before I make a commitment to buy.

Cheers :cheerful:

steve58

With the right arrows there is no reason that you shouldn't hit the 100yd target with 50lbs. A club member is currently doing just that with a 50lb Bickerstaffe lemonwood hickory bow, so it can be done.
Daniel
Hi English Bowman. I am shooting a 53lb Bickerstaffe (osage belly) and am having serious problems with 100 yards. Do you know the details of your clubmate's arrows? Pine/POC? How heavy the piles are? Fletchings? And is he aiming pile on the gold? Or aiming up in the air somewhere? It was very frustrating on Saturday to only get one per dozen on target when my mate Dave was getting 2 or three an end on with 45lbs on his fingers.

john rowland

OK I'm looking to buy a longbow. They seem quite difficult to buy on ebay just now and I have been advised on here to avoid used ones. So it looks like I'm going to have to shell out ?200 for a decent one:melodrama

Well I don't do compromise, even though it's just for a bit of fun etc, I may use it for the odd tournament and would like to keep my options open and buy a decent one.

What do I need to shoot to a distance of 100 yds? What draw weight and what type of construction? I know I can probably cope with 50-55lb. Will this do the job?

Can anyone recomend a Bowyer who can supply one for this sort of money?

So far I'm looking at Yewtree archery or a Bickerstaffe of some sort, anyone else out there who can supply?
One of our members chris makes exelant longbows i have had him make one for me ,and it is very good he doesnt charge the earth and makes them to the exact weight that you require , but he is rather shy ,so i will contact him to see if he would consider making one for you John

F

flamingbladerider

Bought a bow from Yewtree, excellent quality, as good as if not better than one costing twice as much from anyone else.
Just A Note :- WHEN YOU WORRY ABOUT HITTING THE TARGET BEFORE ENJOYING YOUR SPORT - PACK IT IN. ITS ONLY A HOBBY

English Bowman

Hi English Bowman. I am shooting a 53lb Bickerstaffe (osage belly) and am having serious problems with 100 yards. Do you know the details of your clubmate's arrows? Pine/POC? How heavy the piles are? Fletchings? And is he aiming pile on the gold? Or aiming up in the air somewhere? It was very frustrating on Saturday to only get one per dozen on target when my mate Dave was getting 2 or three an end on with 45lbs on his fingers.
He's using POC 5/16 with 100 grn points (I think might be 125) The feathers are 4" shield with the backs cut off. I think he aims by placing the bottom of his hand on the boss, but I'm not sure of that. (I'll check with him tomorrow)
I have got plans for a feather burner and the profile of a feather that will help with reaching the distance. Using a long low feather is much better for distance than any other profile I've seen

Daniel

Miner Willy

Hope you enjoy your bow from YewTreeArchery. I have two and they are great. No probs with either of them. I can hit 100yds with the bamboo and osage one I got from him recently. My arrows have 75 grain point and are Boyton Pine with 3" shields on them.

The only thing I'd change is the string, Keith is very conservative when it comes to his strings they are 16 strand and will slow your bow down, they'll probably never break though!!! Change it for a 14 strand Dacron is you are shooting up to 50 pound, or a fangled fastflight with flemish twist if you want to get the distances.

Have fun and remember to post a piccy when it arrives. :cheerful:

Status
Not open for further replies.