Reflex/Deflex Longbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew Selfbow

There's a debate at the moment within the longbow community regarding the future use of the Reflex/Deflex longbows that have appeared on shooting lines over the past couple of years. In a recent editorial, Ted Bradford, editor of the Glade magazine accused those who shoot this type of bow of cheating. Those that support the use of this type of bow highlight 13th to 16th century historical pictorial evidence of the deflex/reflex design. The matter was discussed at the recent B.L.B.S. A.G.M. but as far as I'm aware no decision as to the future use of the bow was made. The arguements against the bow, centre around longbow specifications laid down by the B.L.B.S and adopted by G.N.A.S. stating that a long bow on full draw should describe a continuous arc, a characteristic the deflex/reflex bow clearly does not possess.
So the future use of the deflex/reflex longbow is in some doubt ...

Macbow

I have never shot an ELB. Does the R/D design offer that much of a performance boost to merit the "cheating" accusation? Surely if there is historical evidence that R/D designs were in use so long ago (I have seen some very old Scottish pictures of archers with recurves) the trad hardcore would be satisfied.
From my own experience, I own some of the world's top high performance R/D AFBs but I actually shoot better with a much slower but more stable & forgiving mild reflex bow. I am seriously considering taking a "step backward" for next season's comps as I am just more consistent. However, for the top shooters whose form is much better than mine to return to Hill-style straight longbows after enjoying the extra performance of an R/D bow would be a backwards step too far. I suspect the ELB R/D users may feel the same and yet another bow class/division will be made until the next divisive issue comes along.

Yew Selfbow

Mac.. you raise some really interesting points.
I can't comment on the performance of the reflex/deflex bow because I haven't actually shot one, but the "charge" (if I can use that term) against them is, that the reflex/deflex bow, allows for faster limb speed, therefore affording better cast and the opportunity for the user to attain an improved distance with a lower poundage bow. This puts the archer with a conventional "straight limbed bow at a disadvantage because to attain the same performance he/she will need to use a bow of much higher draw weight. The historical evidence pointing to the existance of the bow in the middle ages comes mainly from the paintings and tapestries of the period. In fact bows with a definate reflex are depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry. I think there's little doubt that these bows existed, but, the B.L.B.S. is essentialy an organisation shooting in the tradition and style of the Victorian / Edwardial era when reflex/deflex bows were not in common use.

Last edited by a moderator:

tel

Fonz Awardee
the B.L.B.S. is essentialy an organisation shooting in the tradition and style of the Victorian / Edwardial era when reflex/deflex bows were not in common use.
Shouldn't it be the B.V/E. L.B.S in that case?

Macbow

Not quite sure what you are meaning joe - the link is to a photo of a new bow design by O L Adcock (I think) where he is putting his ACS limbs onto Olympic style risers. Way too much metal for my tastes!

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Surely the simplest solution would be to have two classes of longbow. One for ELBs and one for R/DLBs. I'm not sure how the BLBS purists would take it but it would stop the 'cheating' claims.

Hmm...actually on second thoughts maybe it wouldn't stop the 'cheating' claims. Recurve archers seem to always be complaining about 'cheating' compound archers, and longbow archers seem to brand everyone else 'cheaters'.

All in jest of course...:duck: :running:

tel

Fonz Awardee
Hmm...actually on second thoughts maybe it wouldn't stop the 'cheating' claims. Recurve archers seem to always be complaining about 'cheating' compound archers, and longbow archers seem to brand everyone else 'cheaters'.
I know a lot of this is probably 'tongue in cheek', but are there any archers that are seriously bothered about what is happening in another class? I can see the argument if some have a distinct advantage in the same class.....

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
tel said:
I know a lot of this is probably 'tongue in cheek'.
How did you guess? My tongue was almost through my cheek.

Seriously though, I can't see a problem with subdividing the longbow class if it prevents any advantages gained by using a different design.

joetapley

Macbow
Picture partly a joke. A take down (Adcock) longbow with stabiliser and sights.

One drawback to the 'defined' competive bow classes is that while there is a great variety of historical and new bow designs (and I suppose you'd class the English longow as relatively new) the shooting line becomes very dull. Rather than have just 3 basic identical bow sets life would be more interesting with more variety. So IMO want you want is to promote more variety not try impose more restrictions. If a bow meets the class specification then OK to use it. Comments about fairness are spurious. An archer with wooden limbs and aluminium arrows is at a disadvantage to one with carbon/foam limbs and carbon arrows - calls for carbon arrows to be banned as they're 'not fair'?

Personally I'd like to see flatbows, extreme recurves etc all 'competing' with each other. After all the kit is the choice of the archer.
Maybe draw the line at horseback archery :)

Last edited:

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
joetapley said:
I suppose you'd class the English longow as relatively new
The earliest evidence of bow use is from about 50,000 years ago (if I recall correctly). The 'English Longbow', of Robin Hood and 100 Years War fame, was developed about 1000 years ago from the 'Welsh Longbow'(again IIRC).

And in fact it was mentioned below that the BLBS harks back to a Victorian/Edwardian ideal of the longbow. Which would give the BLBS defined 'English Longbow' a heritage of only 150 years or so.

Joe is right, the 'English longbow' is 'relatively new'...almost modern in fact :stirthepo :running: :devil:

Yew Selfbow

Tom
Sorry,I have to disagree with you I'm afraid. Having handled and examined the Mary Rose bows in great detail, I can assure you that they are almost exactly the same as any self bow made in the Victorian or modern era. So that makes the D section, straight limbed bow as we know it today at least 500 years old

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I stand humbly corrected on both counts YS and Joe.

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
I've always regarded the longbow shooters as "Free spirits ", that they are now obsessing about rules is another sad indictment on our rule obsessed society. A bent stick is a bent stick regardless of how many bends it has, it is the Archer that is important not the bow. I have this image of Robin Hood turning up to the Shooting competition with a reflexed bow and being told to "Bu**er off, you can't shoot that here!",...end of story,don't think it would have happened.Almost a rant there, sorry.ps I realize Robin Hood is fiction.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
I'm gonna get hit by the 'off-topic' police here but......

Tom, like your new Weebl Avatar :) But where's Bob.

You'll be demanding pie next :)

Think I'll get myself a Magical Trevor avatar....

Status
Not open for further replies.