Smashed Sinew Backed Bow

• Thread starter Deleted member 7654
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7654

Ho hum...
I'd just done my final tillering, got my sinew backed Ash bow (51" long) up to 28" draw. I'd shot 6 arrows yesterday and it felt really good.
I was going to take some pics of it on the tillering rig which I've just made in the garage. Frosty morning...big mistake...crack bang.
Where the sinew snapped it looks dry and fibrous as if the glue hadn't really bound the fibres together. Anyone else managed to smash a sinew backed bow?
I was sooo looking forward to shooting it to.
I s'pose it's how we learn...
Poor poor kitty
Del (the sad cat)

D

Deleted member 7654

BTW it was measuring about 48lb...:bawling:
Del

Chuck Denofrio

Not sinew. But a bamboo backed osage. It was a bad spot in the gluing. It's one of the reasons folks started using inflated hose to compress the glueup.
Why do they wait till you have all the work in before exploding?
Good you didn't lose any blood over it!

^HUN^

Sorry to hear about the bow.
Was it Titebond you used afterwards? Using traditional glues, the sinew is soaked in the glue and when applied to the bow, much of this is squeezed out. How did you apply the sinew?

D

Deleted member 7654

Yeh, I used the TitebondIII, it did seem to soak into and soften the sinew, I worked it into the sinew between finger and thumb for a bit before laying down each strand.
I think the real prob was I was too greedy trying to get too much poundage and draw from such a short bow!!??...then factor in that I'd just added a couple of twists to the string having waxed it to help bed the strands in...and then a frosty morning.
I think it was an accident waiting to happen.
I'll have another go, I'll start looking for fallen timber, I'll add a couple of inches in length. I'll try the hide glue this time...I was a bit put off by the thought of having it at 100degrees C, can it be worked thiner and cooler say 50 degrees?
Anyhow it's all part of the learning process, and at least I got my decent tillering rig built.
I was reviewing some threads about bow warming...but I think the frosty weather is just an excuse for me being greedy.
It will be good to have tried Hide and Titebond...the Titebond experience was pretty good, but it's a laborious process, I did 2 layers of sinew.
Cheers
Del

^HUN^

The temperature needs to be around 70 degrees C, not boiling. If you don't have a glue pot you can improvise by using a saucepan and two jars. Pan of boiling water, jar of water inside this and a jar containing the glue inside the other jar.
Hide glue is not easy to work with, it gels rapidly so the limb will need heating and you must work fairly fast. Size the limb with a very thin coat and repeat with thicker coats until you reach a syrup consistency, it should run in a thin thread. Each coat will require heating the previous one. This is a job best done on a hot day.
Alternatively you could add some isinglass to the hide glue. Isinglass does not gel quickly and the mixture will give you more time. Combing out the glue soaked sinew bundles until they are flat and free from bits will give you a better finish.

Of course you have to consider how to cover the sinew backing to prevent moisture when using animal glues, parchment is good for this.

This bowyer is using isinglass, you can see the principle.
YouTube - How to make an Asian Bow - Part 1of 2.
YouTube - How to make an Asian Bow - Part 2 of 2.

D

Deleted member 7654

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at those vids.
I'm already planning my next bow.
My next door neighbour has an Almond tree in his garden which died a couple of summers ago...I'll take it down for him in exchange for the timber :yummy:, dunno if it will be any good but it will be interesting to play with.
Cheers
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Blimey those vids are mind blowing...there was another on Korean Bow making too.
They comb the sinew much finer and get it much wetter than I did...their sinew was lovely and long too.
Very humbling...I thought I was clever making my self Yew bow, but I obviously have a long way to go before I'll call myself a real bowyer.
It's nice to see people still making bows like that.
Thanks again for the links
Del

^HUN^

:) yeah, but remember he is a master. Knowing the consistency of Titebond, I was wondering if it could be used in a similar way. If the sinew is prepared and combed on a blank and then transfered to the limb? It may work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.