Splicing feather fletches

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have come accross this idea twice recently and was wondering how exactly this is done?

Huffy

Googled your question and came up with this page

July News

Run down to item 11 of the arrow tip of the month and you will see how to splice fletchings

Hope this is of use, Mark Huff

Greenman

Fonz Awardee
The easiest way to start is to get some 5 1/2" pre cut Shields of different colours, cut through the quill at the same point on each, a diagonal cut is best, and just put them together. the feathers work like Velcro, clever stuff!

robtattoo

Like this.......

These are the arrows I hunted with in Texas (hence the muck!)

Here's a few prettier examples.......

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks for the help and links on this topic.... i will be trying this soon

M

mathewsmainliner

welsh archers at whitchurch used to have a feather jig that allowed you to cut feathers and glue them to a shaft in the way that is discribed. Call them!!

ThePinkOne

The easiest way to start is to get some 5 1/2" pre cut Shields of different colours, cut through the quill at the same point on each, a diagonal cut is best, and just put them together. the feathers work like Velcro, clever stuff!
Indeed. A couple more points:

1. Best to use the same cut size- a portion off a 4" shield spliced to a portion off a 3" paraboic cut isn't quite so easy to get neat

2. Grind the bases off the feathers first so same amount of base on all feathers to be used for splicing- a sander block with something like 150 paper on is OK.

3. You might find fletching tape (you can get a type specifically for feathers) is easier when doing spliced fletchings- I certainly did, but each to their own.

Worth doing thoug, if you foot the arrows first them put on spliced fletchings you do get a very posh and classy look (IMO).

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.