unfinished bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow Lady

I was having a longbow made for my son at Ivanhoe bows before they ceased trading. I decided to buy it even though it was not finished but now need some help/advice to get it finished.
It was intended to be long as my son is 6' 5" tall and has a 32" draw length. It is about 6' 5" long and is well shaped and sanded. It has grooves to be self knocked, but I would need to buy some horn ones.
I was lead to believe that the bowyer, Jim Coleman, was at the tillering stage but since I don't know a lot about longbows I'm not sure what this means in terms of the readiness of the bow.
It is possible to see a picture of it on the Ivanhoe website, Ivanhoe Bows - Traditional Longbows , it is no14 on the unfinished bows link.
Can anyone suggest anyone who would be prepared to look at it with a view to completing it for us?

Miner Willy

You could do far worse than having a chat with Keith Rayner from Yew Tree Archery Traditional English Longbows he was the person who originally helped set up before deciding to go it alone with his own company. He's a really nice chap who I'm sure will be able to help you out.

I should point out that Keith hasn't had anything to do with Ivanhoe Bows for quite a long time and has is own successful business building/crafting longbows.

I have bought two from him in the past 12 month and am more than happy with them.

You could always try to get in touch with John Geldard or Ken Ward who are both relatively local to you (i.e. Yorkshire). I'm afraid I don't have any contact details for them but if you go to your local club I'm sure someone will be able to help you further

jeduffey

I'd like to recommend Traditional Bowyers Bible and BowyersJournal.com to you. There is so much information in this digial info store house of the web, that you are very likely to be able to finish it yourself. Ok, you may make a few sticks of firewood from some test stave first. But I'll be you can do it. If not, your son is 6foot 5, surely he isn't 10 years old, so perhaps he might be up to a challenge? Or you could work on it together. A great father son project. Do some reading and see if you can't make a great result come of it yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.