Wooden shafts - where from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaarus

If you make your own arrows - where do you get your bits from?

I have googled and searched this site but cant seem to find a good list of retailers for shafts, points etc...

Not sure if its the same, but when buying for my recurve, a bit of 'cyber-legwork' could save you a bl**dy fortune!

Anyone care to volunteer some reputable names where you can buy it all?

Thanks
J

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Got my woodies (made up) from Goldflight archery. Very happy with them. They sell bits and pieces to make your own also.

Raedwald

Most of the retailers sell the component parts, so you shouldn't really have any difficulty. My last batch came from Clickers (competitive pricing and close by!!) but I'd priced/checked across a fair few (Quicks, Aardvark, etc).

My next batch might be multi-sourced, as I want to try out the Pine shafts (even though they're a little heavier) to see if they're straighter that the POC ones tend to be at the moment.

Pricing up the "bits" - shafts, nocks, fletchings, piles - gives a range from around ?26 to ?30, depending (based on 4" fletchings).

smog

I get all my supplies from Wales Archery in Crick. They always have a good stock of shafts (varying diameters and spines), fletchings of assorted designs and colours along with assorted piles and nocks. If you can't get down there, they do a mail order service (never tried it as I live too close).

s

Kae

The American
American Shoot
My arrow components come from BowPlus in Whitchurch.

I find it best to be able to search through all the available shafts, and to be able to spine them and find the straightest myself.

One point to remember, because the shafts are a natural material, until you seal them with varnish (or similar) the properties of the shaft will continue to vary.

Kae.

English Bowman

Quicks, but I have to admit that I live nearby so go in there. They have grain scales and a spine meter set up for people to use when selecting shafts, and are happy for me to spend as long as I like sorting through the box

Daniel

DavidH

I've bought all my initial bits from Ebay. There's two or three archery shops on there including Goldflight. I've bought through a number of people and have had superb service from everyone

Windknot

Scots pine shafts are great- I'm going to miss cedar, but needs must, eh?

If you're in the South West I can recommend Arms of Old ( www.armsofold.co.uk )- Hazel and Lee go out of their way to help.

If you DO want to try cedar, let me know what spines you need and I'll see what I have in my pile. I need the space for Scots Pine shafts anyway.

jaarus

Cool - a shop I hadnt found in my wanders - and yes, I am also based in the southwest - live in wiltshire and work in somerset - will check out the site now.

But, if you do have cedars you no longer want - send me a PM - I am looking for something to shoot for when my bow arrives!
Looking for shaft 29", guessing 35-40 / 40-45 spine (as it will be a 47lb ELB)

cheers for the reply
Jaarus

Jumile

Ironman
I ordered all of my wooden shaft parts from Bowsports last night. It's my first experience with wooden arrows, and I hope I can work out how to put them together properly, so we'll have to wait and see.

They're comprised of (costs per dozen, all inc VAT, all 5/16"):
  • ?15.99 - Port Orford Cedar bare shafts (35-40lb)
  • ? 4.50 - Brass screw-on tapered points (100gr)
  • ? 1.35 - Plasti-Nocks
  • ? 7.80 - Parabolic feathers (4"), 3 sets @ ?2.60/doz
In addition to this were the one-off/consumable costs of Bohning Platinum Fletch Tite glue (?2.49) and a taper tool (?4).

Under ?30 per dozen seems good value to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.