3rd Axis Levelling - Simple explanation required

Watch_Man

Hi

I have just bought a second hand Copper John A.N.T.S for a Bladerunner Compound. It is the first sight I have had with third axis levelling. Unfortunately I cannot seem to get my head around the concept of this and despite reading the manual several times, the image of the two bubble levels isn't clear enough to see what I should be looking for.

I understand

1. The bow shoud be pointed up or down at 45 degree's.
2. It should be at full draw when checking the 3rd axis

but that is it !

I am sure it is one of those things that once explained will be easy to grasp.

many thanks

rohenwto

Accurate 3rd axis adjustment is really only important if you are heavily into field archery.

stand directly behind the bow and view from above. The scope body should be at an angle of 90 deg (perpendicular) to the bow. When set at 90 deg the bubble will stay level no matter what angle the bow tipped through. Which is important for field where targets could be placed high on hills or at the bottom of gullies.

Watch_Man

rohenwto said:
Accurate 3rd axis adjustment is really only important if you are heavily into field archery.

stand directly behind the bow and view from above. The scope body should be at an angle of 90 deg (perpendicular) to the bow. When set at 90 deg the bubble will stay level no matter what angle the bow tipped through. Which is important for field where targets could be placed high on hills or at the bottom of gullies.
Many thanks.... like I thought, a simple explantion makes it all clear :cheerful:

Fox

rohenwto said:

No No NO. the bubble should be perpendicular to the arrow, not the bow when veiwed from above at full draw.

Very hard to set tis up without a tool and unlike sure loc, copper john dont make one. Best bet is really trial and error. A badly set up 3rd axis on your bubble will be shown up by shooting left uphill and right downhill or vice-versa.

I would agree though, doesent matter really unless you shoot field and even then only if it starts to get steep.

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
If you subscribe to Archery focus there have been a couple of recent articles on setting up compound sights and the various axis. I'm sure they can be searched for on their online service

Watch_Man

Thanks for the info, I don't shoot field so I'm now not too worried about third axis levelling.

I have a R.S Bow Vise which I use to setup my sight, however it was the 'full draw' thing that made me unsure.