54" bow brace height

jamesr-uk

What is the correct brace height for a 54" core archery recurve (widen riser)?

We had it set to just under 7.5"

I have bought a new string today which is very slightly shorter, and the brace height is now just under 8"

dell

What is the correct brace height for a 54" core archery recurve (widen riser)?

We had it set to just under 7.5"

I have bought a new string today which is very slightly shorter, and the brace height is now just under 8"
Assuming it is a Dacron string, it will stretch so your bracing height will get back to about 7.5" or so.
How many twists do you have in the string? There should be about 1 twist per inch.

BillM

The table I made up from Murray's archery reference guide (mentioned recently in the Forum) gives a range of 6.50" to 7.75" for a 54" bow. The average is about 7.125" so 8" is slightly over the max. I would disagree with Dell re the number of twists as we were told during a coach course to work on 1 twist per 3" of bow length. You should consider 18 - 20 twists enough for that length of bow.

BillM

dell

The table I made up from Murray's archery reference guide (mentioned recently in the Forum) gives a range of 6.50" to 7.75" for a 54" bow. The average is about 7.125" so 8" is slightly over the max. I would disagree with Dell re the number of twists as we were told during a coach course to work on 1 twist per 3" of bow length. You should consider 18 - 20 twists enough for that length of bow.

BillM
Bill,

I stand corrected, memory lapse!