70m tuning

Mark31121

Ironman
I have the opportunity to shoot indoors at 70m soon and was wondering what would be the best course of action for tuning etc as I'll only have a couple of hours.

At 30m everything seems fine, bare shaft and general grouping is ok - when I don't stuff the shot up anyway.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'm told that at 70 m the bareshaft results can be different. It might be worth working back to 70m in stages to see what changes there are and at what ranges they occur.

jerryRTD

It gives you the chance to do a walk back tune without any windage. you can also check the accuracy of your sight by shooting at 18 m and then dropping the pin to you70m mark and see if the arrows still impact with no left/right errors also with no wind.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If you bareshaft at 70m, be aware that the bareshaft will hit higher (in relative terms) at 70m than at 30. So it may be best to only consider the horizontal reading.

backinblack

It's perhaps also worth adding a little tape to the bareshafts to replicate the weight of the fletchings.

I would expect an untaped bareshaft to impact a little to the right of the group at 70m as well as being a little higher as Rik says.

This sounds like a great opportunity to do some real fine group tuning by maybe having a fiddle with button pressure and bracing height to see if you can wring a few extra points from your set up (assuming you have the bigger stuff sorted of course).

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Mark,

I have no idea what level you shoot at, so please don't think I am being cheeky or facetious, but if your release is not absolutely spot on you will have trouble bare shafting at 70m. Of course you may be shooting at GMB level, in which case I will get me coat.....

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It doesn't take GMB... A consistent 270+ for 3 dozen at 70m would probably be sufficient.
I have doubts on the utility of bareshaft at 70m, however. It's a bit of fun, but I'm not convinced you get anything much out of it. Time may be better spent on comparative distance approaches (like walk back and it's variants) or group tuning.

ash

usually archers shoot bare shafts are 70m to weed out rouge arrows and to select only the best arws for 70m compts.

Mark31121

Ironman
I must admit I didn't really give shooting a bareshaft at 70m thought, I was thinking more about group tuning and what process is the quickest.

I had to make a slight centreshot adjustment to keep the windage level between 18 and 30m last month so I'm half expecting a tweak there, but as this may change with a brace height change etc so I don't want to go round in circles with the alterations.

I'm far off GMB and understand where you're coming from - I range from 250-270 for 3 doz at 70, but this was with arrows slightly too weak so I'm hoping I can improve on that this year.

Whitehart

This morning at 70m (Just a slight breeze) and those that have seen me shoot know I am far from text book.

For me bareshaft in my group at 18m & 70m works for me, the rest is practice.

bareshaft test.jpg

Rightly or wrongly I like a very slightly weak tuned bow, on the basis that I am going to shoot more "less than perfect shots" during a round, which slows the arrow down and thus makes it stiffer and it lands further out from the gold. Whereas the arrow that tunes slightly weak does not in my experience deviate as much when I shoot good or bad shots.

aquatoo

Arrow flight

According to Jake Kaminsky slightly weak arrows fly better at longer distance and stiff ones fly better at short.