Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Discuss Arrow clearance / spine issue at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange Forums; Hi everyone. I've been having this problem for a few months now, but haven't been ...
    In the Blue

Thanks

Arrow clearance / spine issue

Hi everyone.
    I've been having this problem for a few months now, but haven't been shooting all that much in that time, so haven't been able to spend enough time trying to resolve it.
    (If that makes sense).
    I shoot recurve, and had been slowly improving, with handicap dropping below 40, mid - high 30s being shot in practice shoots (just to demonstrate I'm not a total beginner).
    I had been having a very occasional problem with arrows catching the arrow rest and stripping or damaging a fletching. This happened maybe once every 3 or 4 dozen arrows.
    After a bit of a break and not shooting much, this began to happen more often. Probably I lost some strength and technique and some mismatch in the arrows was now becoming more evident I thought.
    Anyway, I have spent time trying to tune out the clearance problems - decrease poundage (limbs are at lowest setting now), decrease brace height. Nothing has really worked.

Below is a photo of the effects of a few months of shooting like this. Note the marks on the arrow rest and even the clicker. Even now it doesn't occur every arrow, but maybe 1 in 3, so there is probably some technical flaw involved, although I don't think the arrow tuning should be so borderline that half my arrows hit the riser!
    IMAG1026.jpg
    The thing that's stopped me from just going out and buying arrows that suit, is that I thought I had erred on the side of too stiff when I bought these, but surely if they're catching the rest, they're too whippy.
    Anyway, here are the measurements:
    Arrow length = 31.5".
    Bow = 38/39#.
    Spine = 500 (ACC 3-28).

This should put the required arrows in the T8/T9 range, but I was told that cheaper limbs like mine aren't so efficient, so go a spine point down, so they fall in the T7/T8 category. Actually the 500s are in both of these categories.
    So, my plan is to get a few arrows made up exactly the same as these, but in 440 spine (3-39).

Before anyone says, I only have 1/2" overhang past the arrow rest, so can't really stiffen these by cutting them.
    So, unless I have made terrible errors with my calculations, does buying arrows a spine point up seem reasonable?

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Right. First thoughts. You arrows don't look on paper to be too weak. I'm using 500 spine with 29.5" arrow with 43lbs otf, Border Hex 7.5. What brand of limbs are you using? I ask because conventional profile limbs fit *reasonably* with the Easton charts, Uukha are a bit off and Border need much stiffer spines as they are considerably faster.
    Arrows can strike the riser/rest etc if they are too stiff as well as weak.
    What is your brace height?
    Your rest. Hmm. I don't like that sort. I like a wire flipper rest type. I don't like wrap around rests either. Spig Ironman 2 is about 11. Very robust (never broken one) light action and completely folds flat. I'm shooting X10s, field arrows and 2315 indoors. All work with this rest.
    Just making suggestions for you to think about.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the Blue

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Timid Toad.
    The reason I haven't already gone and changed arrows is yes, they don't seem like they should be out much!
    Limbs are W&W Pro Accent, not top of the range kit.
    I have a magnetic rest, but didn't really think that would be the issue. I could fit it to see.
    Tbh, I have fiddled with so many settings I may reset things to somewhat mid position and try again. Push the centre shot out a bit maybe?
    Brace height is 24cm, but I have raised it to 25 and lowered it to around 22cm with not much difference.

Thanks
    Your bow is a 70"? So BH should be between 23 and 26cm, when the limbs are max out. If your arrows are on the weak side pushing centre shot out won't help. So set everything back to mid position. Change one thing at a time, and try a lightweight, flat wire flipper rest.

In the Blue

Thanks
    Yes, 70".
    OK, will set everything back to mid position and try things out again.
    However, I've been fiddling with this on and off since about May now, and nothing's working.
    I think I should probably get a few arrows made a spine up or down and just see if that helps.

Thanks
    Please do report back

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast