Arrow clearance or tuning or setup or another issue!

Jay5150

I have recently bought some new ACE's, I decided to get a spine stiffer (according to easton charts) and 120 grain break off points.

At 30m on a frostbite round only 4 went outside the 9 ring moved to 60 yards 5 golds one black...bit weird. Second time four central and two grouped together in the black and same a few more times. Looked at my arrows and a few had the tape at the back of the spin vanes slightly taken off.

I had put a lighter spring in the pressure button but still quite stiff... Anyone got any ideas please??

Bald Eagle

Did you do any tuning prior to the frostbite shoot? If you can put some in the middle and some in the black, are you doing something to put them in the black? Sounds like you have a clearance problem too if you are taking the tape off the fletching. Did you bare shaft at 20 yds to check nock point and button pressure?

Jay5150

Hi bald eagle, unfortunately I have always been a bit cavalier with tuning, so no I did not tune before the frostbite (I will tomorrow though).

Same string and setup so nocking point should be fine, arrow was position just left of centre it's like the back end was whipping against the button on release hence going right (but consistently so as arrows that go in the black were grouped) maybe bad release and to soft button?

Bald Eagle

Sounds like a weak arrow, after your tuning session you might have to take 10 gns of the pile if you can't adjust your button to get the arrow to impact gold

Bald Eagle

If your arrow on the rest with pile just to the left (right hand archer) but arrow impacting right, then the arrow is weak, unless your button pressure is too weak, hence the clearance problem

Easily Confused

If your arrow on the rest with pile just to the left (right hand archer) but arrow impacting right, then the arrow is weak, unless your button pressure is too weak, hence the clearance problem
Unless it's a clearance issue causing the arrow to the right...

My advice would be to number your arrows and check if it's the same arrows going right each time. I'm shooting ACE 400s @30.5 inches and ~51lb with 110gn points and they tune fine. If anything they're a tiny fraction weak but my ex power limbs are pretty quick. What were your previous arrows and how well did they tune?

Jay5150

I am also using the ex power limbs, problem is I have recently returned to archery after a 18 year break! I upgraded my bow and used my old aces which were way too weak and were whipping out the bow so much a fletching was being stripped off every shot so then bought some fatboys for indoors (as i started again at the end of the outdoor season) which tuned fine. Decided to get some new aces for outdoors as I couldn't justify x10's yet.

I will do some tuning tonight and post my findings to all that are interested.

Boot

Hi, I am now tuning in a new riser and having the same issue. How did you correct it in the end?

Mufti

At 30m on a frostbite round only 4 went outside the 9 ring moved to 60 yards 5 golds one black...bit weird.
It seems to be a form issue to me;

Good shots in the middle, poor shots not so.

How do the arrows fly when they go in the gold and then black?