Arrow leaves bow tail left.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Shooting today with some new ace arrows with spinwing fletches. The arrows appear to be 'tail left' for a short distance down the range then straighten-up. I never noticed this before with different fletches. These spinwings have a 'tighter curl' than previous fletches I used. Is it possible they are hitting the riser/arrow rest as they pass? I have only just come in so I have not had a chance to investigate further yet. What do you think?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
is there any damage to the fletchings or nock (or noise) that would indicate there is contact happening?? Have you changed colours of fletchings? I just ask because it could be that the new ones are just more visible than your old ones... But it's nothing a powder test wouldn't sort out.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It was windy, but the wind was coming from left to right. So I thought it would have made the fletched end go right not left into it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Is this new ace's replacing old ace's of the same/spine length etc.
Can you shoot the old arrows and check how they fly, now you have watched the new ones.
As said already, a powder test for possible contact. Also bareshafts from old and new sets might show up any differences in that department.
Old style fletchings on the new shafts might solve the problem.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I cannot do a direct comparison. However. I did take a close look at the Spinwings and noticed that they appear more 'tubular' than my previous Kurly Vanes. I cannot see any telltale signs of hitting the arrow rest area. So I am wondering if they are hitting the clicker blade (due to their roundness whereas the kurly vanes are missing it, as they appear to be flatter). there is a small bend in the clicker blade to ensure a firm/louder 'click' I wear hearing aids). Anyway I have refletched the shafts with Kurly Vanes but will have to wait till Wednesday to re-tune and see how they fly. The only difference between the old shafts and the new shafts is an increase of 10 grains in the pile weight.

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Spinwings are fairly sensitive to contact, meaning they will easily show visible signs of contact, usually in the form of creases or small tears. If they appear perfect after being shot a few times, I would say the vanes themselves are not touching anywhere. But, as Geoff and its peers have mentioned, the best, most sure-way of knowing is to to a contact test, with foot powder or lipstick.

I have no experience with Kurly Vanes, but SpinWings are VERY light, much lighter than conventional vanes, and that can make the shafts behave weaker. The same happens with heavier points...

And, as a general rule, one should try to avoid making two or more changes in one go. In your case, the vanes and the point weight were changed. Now, it is harder to tell which has caused the difference in behavior...

Good luck, and let us know how you got on with this.

DF

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thank you for the reply. I have re-fletched the ACE's with Kurly Vanes. In my garden at short range 15yds they seem OK. But I will have to wait until Sunday to see how they fly over 70m. Someone in another post stated that a +10 grain increase in point weight can effect ACE's more than other shafts.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Thank you for the reply. I have re-fletched the ACE's with Kurly Vanes. In my garden at short range 15yds they seem OK. But I will have to wait until Sunday to see how they fly over 70m. Someone in another post stated that a +10 grain increase in point weight can effect ACE's more than other shafts.
Not in my experience. I added 20 grains to some 670s (one of the lighter sizes of shaft) with no noticeable change, except to sightmarks. 10 grains is really a pitiful amount.
Weight added at the back makes a much bigger difference (in the opposite direction) of course.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well I was able to shoot the ACE's with the Kurly vanes today. No longer leaving the bow tail left - going straight. So it looks a though I had a problem with the Spinwings. They did not show any signs of striking the riser, but maybe it was so light (if it was happening) that I could not see any physical damage to the fletches.

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Well. my experience is rather limited with curved vanes, but, compared to conventional vanes, Spinwings appear to be rather fragile and prone to damage. If there were contact, even very slight, I believe it would leave a recognizable mark on the vanes. Perhaps the difference is weight; more weight at the back of the shaft stiffens the arrow. Do you have a way to measure the weight of 3 Kurly Vanes, plus associated paraphernalia (tapes, etc.) and compare it to a similar set for Spinwings? I have weighed a Spinwing set and came up with something like 5-6 grains, much less than any other type of vane, but I had no other type of curved vane acessible to me...the closest were natural feathers, 3", and even then they were slightly heavier, as I recall...

So, if Kurly Vanes are heavier by any appreciable amount, that could explain the difference in behavior. Not better nor worse, merely more suited to your setup.

YMMV, etc.

DF

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for the reply. I have seen a post that states that Spinwing vanes, being lighter than other types, 'weaken' an arrow. How true this I do not know. But there is a definite improvement in the initial flight pattern with the 'Kurly' vanes. However a shop told me they were being discontinued! I wonder if that was 'Fake News'?