Arrow Nock/String Adjustment

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I am after some advice.

My arrow nocks have become very loose on the string which is causing the arrow to come off the string during draw. I have adjusted them by closing up the nock with a pair of pliars.

Is that what I should be doing or should I being doing something else ? It did seem to do the job.

There is lots of information saying what the correct tension should be but none of them actually tell the you the important bit, which is how to change it.

Thanks

Phil

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Hi Phil,

If all your nocks have become loose it sounds like your centre serving may be worn so you may need to replace it.

If it's just a few, you may need to replace your nocks.

I tend to add a tiny bit of super glue between the nocking points just to pad it out slightly so my nocks have a firmer fit.

Of course it could be something entirely different and I'm sure one of our more informed members will be along soon :)

Phil Hodgins said:
I am after some advice.

My arrow nocks have become very loose on the string which is causing the arrow to come off the string during draw. I have adjusted them by closing up the nock with a pair of pliars.

Is that what I should be doing or should I being doing something else ? It did seem to do the job.

There is lots of information saying what the correct tension should be but none of them actually tell the you the important bit, which is how to change it.

Thanks

Phil

Andy1960

Hi Phil,

I seem to remember I had the same problem a few years back which turned out to be the center serving getting a bit worn. Rather than re-serve or replace the string (back before I made my own) I was advised to wrap some dental floss around the affected part of the string. Keep checking with arrows nocked onto the string to see if they fall off with a light tap. If they don't - too much floss and you need to unwrap a bit.

Not a permenant solution, but it'll get you out of trouble and indicate if reserving is the final answer

If it's just a few nocks which are loose, replace them. They're cheap and easy enough to change - even on the line

Dave, just a quick thought, wouldn't the superglue accelerate any wear to the nocks that may be happening?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Andy1960 said:
Dave, just a quick thought, wouldn't the superglue accelerate any wear to the nocks that may be happening?
Not so far Andy :) But you're right, it could wear them eventually. It was just a very convenient solution at the time :)

cliveanne

Ironman
Phil Hodgins said:
I am after some advice.

Thanks

Phil

Closing nocs with pliers might work in the short term. But, beware that you could weaken them & the nocs could break as you loose. This happened to an archer some time ago & instead of the arrow flying to the target, it left the string at a rightangle shooting between the archer standing next to him & his bow at full draw.
In the past, I have built up the worn area with nylon thread & covered it with nail varnish. (I always keep some with me. Who knows, I might be asked out for dinner one day. ;) )