Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow selection advice?

In the Green
    Thanks

Arrow selection advice?

Firstly, I believe this is probably my first post, though I have been reading for a good while. So Hi to you all.

I have been shooting recurve for a couple of years now in a very relaxed way, I mean I have no real agenda and just having fun. I would like to do some competition at some point so need to get things tuned a little better.

I bought some ACCs at the end of last summer when I was pulling about 36lbs. I asked the local shop to select the shafts and build the arrows, taking into account, winter was coming and when I went back outdoors I wanted to be pulling between 40 and 45lbs. They sold me ACC 3-18 s 0.560 spine with 82g points and said to fit lighter points as my power increased - this made sense at the time.

We have just started shooting outdoors, I am now pulling 43lbs (and am ready to add a little more), with the 82 grain tips the 29.5" arrows are I suspect far too weak. Bare shafts shoot 30 cm right at 20 yds and I cannot group anywhere near people I was bettering indoors - (with .505 X7s)

Thinking I had better get my head around arrow selection, I did some reading and came across FOC. Calculating this for my arrows gave an FOC of 8.2%

I will try the lighter points this week but are they likely to reduce the FOC beyond what works?

Or am I wasting time trying to get these arrows to tune? It would be a bit annoying as they have only been used a handful of times.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Thanks
    Personally I've never had much success tuning arrows by changing point weights. It just doesn't make that big a difference.

Have you any scope for shortening the arrows?
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

Thanks
    I think you may have gone beyond what point weight can compensate for with the increase in draw weight.

A brief look at my old Quicks copy of the Easton chart shows you've gone up at least one group (T7 to T8) & if you are going to increase poundage further then potentially borderline two groups.

As financially painful as it is I think a new set of shafts will definitely be needed.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue

Thanks
    How far past the button is the point of your arrow at full draw?

Thanks
    I'm another intermediate shooter (shooting 3 years) so haven't got the experience of some of these guys. My thinking, FWIW is do you have scope to lower poundage by winding out limb bolts? Going from 36 lb to 43 lb in half a year itself seems quite a big jump over a relatively short time. Is it perhaps early to be considering adding more?

In the Green
    Thanks
    My limbs are wound out just beyond the max recommended for my riser Forged + so I am not keen on reducing weight any more. I am fine at current draw weight so I don't want to go down either.

I could remove half an inch off my arrows but will probably just buy a new set. They should last me a while as I dont need or want to increase my draw weight much more.

Any suggestion what sort of spine/point combo to go for that could take me up to 45lbs. Will probably go for ACC's again but may splash out on ACE's

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast