Arrow Spine - Too Weak or Not?

Alan Kettlewell

Good morning,

I've recently made an easy change from short 30lb limbs to short 36lbs - these are wound out so my actual draw weight is about 33lbs. My length of draw as per AMO ie to the far side of the riser, is 26.75 inches. (25 inches to the button).

I have a set of 920 Easton ACCs - chart group T1 that were correctly measured at the shop with my previous limbs. These are deliberately cut a little long at 27.5 inches to allow for any further expansion in draw length.

With my new draw weight after the change of limbs the chart says I would need 750 ACCs - chart group T3. So, on the face of it, it looks like a trip to the local archery store to buy more arrows is on the cards.

However, I'm finding that the 920 arrows fly nice and true with my new limbs. I'm currently practising for the 252 badge at 40 yards, getting reasonable groups, 3 to 5 arrows nicely in the gold.

So my question is: Is it alright to continue using the 920 arrows? Or are there reasons not to? One thing crosses my (inexperienced) mind is that a weak arrow may damage the limbs in some way, or might the 'deviation' from using weak arrows become too much at longer distances?

The only tuning I've had to do is to wind in the plunger spring a few clicks to move the arrows over to the left as you'd expect for weaker arrows. (Right handed archer).

Grateful to hear what you think.

Cheers ... Alan

PS - Should have mentioned I'm a recurve archer.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
They'll only damage your limbs if the arrows weigh so little they are affectively giving you a partial dry fire every shot. A slightly underspined arrow will not do this.
For you the test should be do they group well at the longest distance you shoot. If the answer is yes, crack on!

Alan Kettlewell

They'll only damage your limbs if the arrows weigh so little they are affectively giving you a partial dry fire every shot. A slightly underspined arrow will not do this.
For you the test should be do they group well at the longest distance you shoot. If the answer is yes, crack on!

Many thanks for your reply, it's good to know there isn't a risk to my nice new limbs. I'll crack on and see how it works out when I start winding the tiller bolts in and increasing the poundage - meanwhile I'll defer my trip to the archery store.

Cheers ...Alan