Back Muscles: Strengthening Exercises?

PorlyP

Hi All,

I wrote a huge thread just now, but my browser crashed so I'm gonna keep it short.

I've got a plan for progression, and part of it is strengthening my back and shoulders for increase in poundage as I move forward.

Anyway, do any of you have back strengthening exercises you can recommend me?

I swim every weekday, Only about 1k, but it's regular.

Also, over the course of say, 6 months, what kind of strength benefit can I realistically and safely expect?

Please and thanks :)

PorlyP

Cheers, I searched for Back Muscle but didn't find it, as the title meant I skimmed past it.

Sorry!

That's more of a general fitness thing from what I can tell, I'm only really interested in the back muscles right now, as I've got a handle on the rest.

Thought the poundage increase might be a new question though, as in the gains to be expected from weight training.

NoAngel

Just using your bow without an arrow. Draw your bow up, hold for 5 seconds, then bring it down (DON'T DRY FIRE) for 5, then up for 10, down for 10, up for 15, down for 15, etc, then reverse, up for 15, down for 15, up for 10, down for 10, up for 5, down for 5 and rest. If you can do this for 30-45 mins a night you will be well on your way. With practice you should be able to hold you bow for 30 seconds. You can also do the same routine using a formaster, this ensures you are only working you back and shoulder muscles, apposed to your finger and forearm.

I also used to use a bar with some string tied to it with some weights on the end. Hold your arms out in front of you and twist the bar so the string wraps around it and lifts the weight, then once at the top, do the reverse, control the decent, don't just open your fingers.

You should always stretch and warm up before doing anything like this. I know a lot of people don't do this, but it will help you gain a higher fitness level in the long run. Hope that advice is some help, why does my advice seem so long winded ??

Deadeye Doc

The best exercise and training for archery IS archery :raspberry
You've been reading too much Heretic Archery! There's a strange little pamphlet called "Muscles and Bows" from Quicks catalogue. Can't say I recommend it. But I rather agree with LMP and the Heretic Archer ...:cake:

PorlyP

Yeah, but in the absence or depleted shooting possiblity of archery during the indoor season, how do I continue to build strength?

I was reading some random things online to do with things like holding at full draw for 30-60 seconds, in order to isolate the muscles used, and redce shaking, etc.

Amongst others, of course.

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
You could try a formaster (thats what I use and what I've made for/with Miles for him)

Basically you need a lump of thick comfortable rope to wrap around your elbow and some d-loop/release cord. Oh and a string (old and tatty is fine as long as its still safe)

What it does is it allows you to shoot safely in a room (against a pillow or a small boss if you have one) as it reduces the force the arrow expert about 8lb (a nice safe low amount).

It works by basically attaching the string to your elbow, so you can draw or shoot out worries. It will also tell you whether you're using your back muscles properly.

However, it needs to be fitted to you (so the ropes etc are the correct length).... if you decide you want one, and can gather the bits together I'll help you put it together at the American if you like?

PorlyP

Sounds cool, thanks Kellog!

I really think that once I get the loose right, a lot should begin to fall into place.

I'm not doing /that/ badly, but looking at that video still makes me cringe, especially seeing me so pleased at the end of it! If I only knew then!

Deadeye Doc

Another thought.
One of the things I have in mind to take up when I retire - not long off now! - is kayaking. This is upper body and shoulders exercise. Many years ago I rowed, all to briefly. This (providing you are not in an eight and therefore pulling assymetrically) might also be worth looking at. As your club is quite close to the Thames it may be worth giving both a go.