Beginner - Learn to make arrows up or keep buying pre-made ones?

Grimmy

I am a beginner (been practising since mid june) and was wondering if it is better to sart learning to make your own arrows or continue to buy ready to use ones. I say this as I practice most days on a straw target in my garden and I find that a nock or a fletching gets damaged every week now because of one arrow hitting another one.
It seems like it would be cheaper to start making and repairing my own arrows? The ones I use at present are alloy beginners ones.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Without a doubt!

One of THE most important DIY tasks in archery.
Plus you'll save a small fortune.

Kae.

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
If you intend staying in the sport, a fletching jig is going to be essential. Replacing nocks and fletches is quick, easy and cheap.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I agree with the other posts too.
To reduce arrow damage you could try setting your sight just a bit too high.
Then shoot one arrow. If you aim at that arrow next time, the second one should land below it as your sight is set too high.Shoot arrow 3 at arrow2 and you should land below again. Repeat the pattern. You should see a line of equally spaced arrows.

Stylisht

If you let other people make your arrows, you can never have complete confidence in them.

Might as well learn early.

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
If you let other people make your arrows, you can never have complete confidence in them.
good call - the confidence thing is a biggy

(plus if an arrow does 'fail' you only have yourself to blame rather than offloading blame elsewhere)

slainte :cheerful: rob

grimsby archer

in addition to the other posts:

if someone else makes your arrows up, when you come to replace one fletching, you can never get your fletching jig to exactly the same angle as the one used to originally fletch the arrows, so you end up with conflicting fletchings (mismatched angles)

If you use your own jig, it doesnt matter how many times you refletch or repair, the angle is always the same. Like has already been said, its a confidence thing.

JohnKR

I am also a newbie, and have recently made up my first set of arrows (cartel triples).
It`s dead simple. I printed off the Easton tuning guide and followed the instructions at the back. along with advice on the forum you cant go wrong.

tel

Fonz Awardee
On top of all that has been said, fletching/arrow repairs is one of the tasks (along with string-making) that prevent archers going stir-crazy when they can't get to shoot!
:meditate:

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I fletched my first arrow about a year ago, since then I have done many many more. I find it relaxing to do so.

T.

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman

It's not just confidence, can you guarantee that the shops fletching jigs are EXACTLY the same offset as your own ? If you buy bare shafts, use your own jig, then you can ensure that replaced fletchings are exactly the same, every time.

Mind you if you are shooting off your own nocks and fletchings already ? Sounds pretty good to me.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Blimey, thanks for the response and the suggestions. Thanks JohnKR for the link too. Anyone recommend a make or a type to start with? Also where's the best place to buy them from?
I've seen some 12 Easton Navigator Carbon Arrows on the link below (bottom of the page) that look like they would be simple for a beginner to put together. Expensive though.
archery equipment supplier - Preston UK

Thanks!
Probably not a good idea to jump straight to Navigators, stick with what you've got for the moment until you get your draw length and stance established then have a look around at what others are shooting and get opinions. There's no shortage of opinions on arrows on here of course. Read everything you can get your hands on then make your own mind up. Many people moving to carbon/aluminium arrows go for A/C/C's, in my opinion an excellent arrow which will take you a long way on your archery journey. The Cartel Triple is also very good and bridges the gap between the A/C/C and the big boys arrows, although the choice of nocks and points is somewhat limited compared to the Easton products.
In the meantime, get yourself a Cartel Fletching jig and a Zip Strip and have a go. I agree with Tarquin, building arrows is very therapeutic.

grimsby archer

It's not just confidence, can you guarantee that the shops fletching jigs are EXACTLY the same offset as your own ? If you buy bare shafts, use your own jig, then you can ensure that replaced fletchings are exactly the same, every time.

Mind you if you are shooting off your own nocks and fletchings already ? Sounds pretty good to me.
Hell of an echo in here phil_r_58 :cake::yummy: Must be the great accoustics