Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner tuning help!

In the White
    Thanks

Beginner tuning help!

Iíve never done any tuning as Iím new (ish) and donít have a clue but at the end of todayís practice round we had some spare time so I went down to 20 yards and shot four fletched arrows and two unfletched. My four fletched were dead centre and the two unfletched were the exact same height but hanging on to the very left edge of the target face (I shoot right handed).

Everyone who was there to offer Ďadviceí assured me this is completely fine and not a tuning issue and to stop shooting unfletched by and putting ideas down in my head but thatís not what Iíve read!

I understand from what Iíve read that this suggests my spine is too stiff or I need to weaken plunger? I bought the arrows with 24# limbs and am now using 28# plus a little as Iíve wound them in so Iíd have thought Iíd be wanting a stiffer spine? Iím so confused! I was expecting to need new arrows soon but was hoping to get away with it a bit longer for another increase in poundage first.

Where is the best place to start in terms of tuning - is it time to buy new arrows?

Any advice or explanation that can send some light would be massively appreciated, as I just donít have resources available to help me with any sort of tuning at my club

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    When bareshaft arrows go left, for a right hander, they are usually too stiff for the bow. The bow really needs more draw weight; you have turned the limbs in already so hopefully they can be wound in even more.
    The button does change things a little but that is really for fine adjustments when the arrows are already well matched. If you weaken the button and try the test again, you will probably find the fletched shafts go to the right of the centre. The bareshafts may move a little right, too, but probably get no closer to the fletched ones.

In the White
    Thanks
    So it sounds like my arrows may have been badly matched from the start when I was on lower poundage limbs? The shop sorted them out for me based on 24# limbs (now 28#) and I think a 29Ē draw, although I havenít measured my draw length since. I have Platinum XX75 1816 arrows.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's very difficult to match light limbs with arrows for a beginner. It is always better to have too stiff an arrow than too weak, and a sturdier shaft is more likely to survive the battering novices give them. Beginners' looses can be iffy at best (which causes bareshafts to go offline) and they tend to increase their drawlengths very soon after buying kit, which is why a lot of clubs advise that novices stick with club kit for as long as possible.

So I wouldn't worry too much for now. Work on your form first. Increasing poundage can have a detrimental affect on your form so I wouldn't increase further for now. If you aren't getting nocks cracking and fletchings getting ripped off your bow's tune is reasonable for the stage you are at. In 3-4 months see where you are at then.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    1816 arrows come in the T3 group on Easton's charts. It seems to be correct for your draw weight range.
    One problem with matching arrows to a bow of a stated draw weight( weight printed on the limbs) is knowing what the actual draw weight is when the archer is at full draw. That can be calculated fairly well, but only if the archer knows the arrow length, and their draw length when they are shooting the bow. That might not be the same when the archer stands to be measured.
    If you have a 29" draw length that would mean a 29" arrow would be sticking out in front of the bow by about 1" when you are at full draw.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If your four fletched arrows hit dead centre then there is not much wrong with your form. Next ignore 'advice', you do have stiff arrows and you could adjust the button spring tension to make the button softer and adjust the centre shot to make the arrow sit a little further to the right. If you feel comfortable with the draw weight you could increase the draw weight. If after carrying out these adjustments you are still getting a stiff indication there is no point tuning any further because you are not going to be able to do anything about the mismatch. Improve your form and the next pair of stronger limbs
    you get will more than likely match you stiff arrows
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jerryRTD For This Useful Post:

SeduLOUs (16-04-18)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast