Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow Trainer type devices

In the Blue
    Thanks

Bow Trainer type devices

I know that the best practise is to use my bow, and do either actual shooting or bow exercises.

However I'm not very good at doing it and the main reason is the time/effort required to set the bow up ready to practise.

I know this is a poor excuse but it is honest!

I'd like something that I could just grab so that I can do some kind of training. I have exercise bands but I'm never sure how much I get from them. They feel so alien compared to holding the bow.

I shoot recurve, I'm looking to build some strength. It would be useful if whatever I bought would be useful for my 10 year old daughter to use as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 923 Posts
    You could try using the exercise bands while holding the riser to add mass to your bow arm.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Make or buy a bow that doesn't need "setting up" or leave yours set up but unstrung.
    Complicated isn't always better.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Thanks
    Using exercise bands is, in some ways, the opposite of making things feel like usual.
    They are an opportunity, instead, to focus on the correct form/execution with a minimum of weight; it's like going back to basics. For practicing the movements they are probably better than something which more closely mimics shooting.
    But they won't do much for strength/condition.

In the past, I've bought a cheap handle/limbs to use for conditioning/reversals. Something I'm willing to just leave set up. I've used an "airbow" but they are fiddly to set up and still need an actual bow (as does something like a Formaster).
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I've tried before with the bands attached to a dumbbell which is then at about the same weight as the riser, but I just don't really get the right weight with the bands. I tried last time and kept making it shorter to up the poundage but eventually snapped the band!

I guess as you've said, a spare riser and limbs setup is the answer but the wife would probably kill me. It would also mean the whole lot x2 to get my daughter practising too.

I like the look of the formaster for technique but I don't think I'd set the bow to often enough to make good use of it. I do like the idea of it making you use the right muscles though.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 923 Posts
    Shock cord, from a place that sounds like Tea and zoo; comes in different thicknesses. If you get a length of each thickness and experiment you should get close to your bow's draw weight. 1 x thick = too light
    1 x thick beside 1 x thin = too light
    1 x thick beside 2 x thin = ??
    When you are close to matching, shorten the thin one a little at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast