Thread: Brace Height

In the Green
    Thanks

Brace Height

I've been shooting American Longbows since 1976 but most recently have fallen in love with the traditional English Longbow, no shelf rest and with the D Limb design rather than the flat bow. The American bows seem to range from 6 1/2" to 7" brace height whereas the Engish bows can run mostly 5" to 5 1/2". A dramatic difference and I am wondering why. The shorter brace height can really increase string slap but if you can cure that the string drives the arrow farther for a little greater cast and speed along with a good release. Any comments on why they are so different?

Thanks
    The recommended brace height for my Bickerstaffe ELB is 6.5". Which ones have you seen with shorter brace heights?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    You're comparing apples with oranges. It's a radically different animal in so many respects that it isn't possible to expect BH to be the same. Still, unless you have a very short ELB (and therefore a very short draw length) 5 1/2" sounds a very low BH.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Obviously go to the bowyer's recommendation, failing that I use my fist with extended thumb (fistimelle) which is about 6 - 6 1/4"
    I'd say 6 1/2 is a safe maximum. 5 1/2" is fine and a low brace can give a longer power stroke but at the risk of string slap.
    Don't crank up the brace height in search of more power/distance etc, it won't help and will kill the bow. (Going lower on the brace height would be more effective! Yes I know it's counter-intuitive)
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Red
    Thanks
    there is a ratio between bow length and brace height and is to do with the arc formed by the strung bow. typically this will give you a brace height of 6" for a 72" bow. As said, a lower brace height will give you more distance.
    Also be aware that if you have a long draw length you will need a longer bow to keep the ratio the same. I have a 76" long bow and draw length of 30".