Breathing Technique

Thunk

Ironman
There's some reference to breathing in the 'Writing down Form' thread. But what techniques do we use? I have only ever applied the basic technique I learned whilst shooting in the Army; two normal breaths and then after the third, stop breathing and release. Is this what you do, or is there more to it?

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have always inhaled as I come up to full draw and then hold my breath until I release or let down. I read somewhere (here?) a few weeks ago that this wasn't the best thing to do but it's ingrained now.

T.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
tarkwin said:
I have always inhaled as I come up to full draw and then hold my breath until I release or let down. I read somewhere (here?) a few weeks ago that this wasn't the best thing to do but it's ingrained now.

T.
I changed a few years back to "exhale on draw". It's surprisingly easy to swap over. You just have to get the setup right - don't exhale as you're getting ready to draw (going blue in the face as you try to generate a vacuum would probably disturb the other archers).

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
My technique is pretty similar to Rik's in terms of exhaling as I draw. It needs to be remembered that archery is a marginally more aerobic sport then gun shooting - which I assume is the 'in the army' shooting you refer to Thunk.
To go into a bit more detail:
  1. Deep breath when coming to pre-draw
  2. Partially exhale as coming into full draw and references
  3. Finish exhaling as I expand through the shot

Max

Funny - I have completely changed my breathing pattern since changing to compound, and I did not realise I was doing it. For recurve I was exhaling on pre-draw, drawing a deep breath and only exhaling slightly on the anchor - almost using a lungful of air to expand my chest and brace the weight of the recurve against. For compound I have caught myself exhaling at full draw to relax and steady the pulse (as I used to do when I shot pistol) - it seems more relaxed and comfortable.

Adam

As a compound archer:

In when I raise the bow.
Out during the draw cycle.
In and hold (approx 1/2 lung-full) when settling into an anchor and aiming/shooting.

Assuming you've got a reasonable degree of cardio-vascular fitness, you'll be able to feel that your pulse slows dramatically after an inhalation. Hence, a breath in when you're trying to settle your aim helps stop a thudding heart from making the aim wobble.

Adam

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
What works best for me is a breath in during draw, hold until release and then exhale.

I thinks its important during anchor that no movement of any kind is introduced.

Whats important is to use whats feels most comfortable for you.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I tend to take a deep breath when preparing, then inhale as I turn to the gold and exhale as I draw & aim. Thus letting my shoulders drop etc as I relax into the shot.

Well sometimes anyway!!!

SLOWHAND

Before starting the shot process I take a little time (10 secs or so) to mentally focus, and visually focus my (50 year old) eyes on the gold. Whilst I am doing this I am regulating my breathing and heartbeat and relaxing as much as possible. As I draw up I inhale to about half my lung capacity, hold it, and then complete the shot process.
Just my way of doing it.

doubletop

when the army taught me to shoot they taught me to fire (pull the trigger) in the natural pause between exhale and inhale.
i have found that if i inhale on draw then aim whilst exhaling and in the natural pause before inhaling again loose

it makes sense to me the natural pause is when the body should be at its stillest i also found that i just naturally fell into this rythym even after being out of the army nearly 5 years before taking up archery.

MTB_Rider

umm well to be honest i dont know what my breathing is doing anymore because all these little things have become automatic and i dont think about them. but i gess brething in and then brething out keeps you alive.

black_1_shadow

Hi Guys

I tend to inhale while drawing bow to full draw on both Longbow and Compound, breathe normally but slowly while aiming and inhale and hold before loose.

As to pulse while exersising I have great control over my bodys rhythm and mine stays as though I am at rest, so doesnt seem to effect me.

Regards Michael