a.c.e problems

merv

not with arrows actually,but with the shooting of them.
bought myself a new set of aces,i have to say that shooting them as apposed to aluminiums is quite different.
Has anybody else encountered problems changings from aluminiums to aces in respect to groups or more accurately the lack of.
did it take you long getting into the groove so to speak,i know that long term they are the business,but at the minute i wouldnt want to go further back than 20 yards just in case.
Any little tips on how to get back to the form i had shooting aluminiums previous before the change would be appreciated.

merv

hi robin helix with g3 limbs,draw weight 36lbs,drawlength 28 1/2 inchs.
Like i said its not the arrows that are problem but the actual shooting of them you know.
everything just feels different and it shows lol

CPlater1

have you checked your bracing height, your button position/tension, are your arrows matched to each other and the correct spine, is your arrow rest in the right position? check these things as a starting point, then see if you have the same problems.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When you change from fat arrows to thinner ones,they lie lower and nearer centre.If they are flying well rather than like corkscrews, it may be that you are finding the lower weight is upsetting your form. I had problems when I changed from Ali to all carbons.I felt the extra speed was like shooting a heavier bow in some ways, with more recoil and the shot seemed to " get away from me", if that makes sense.
If this is part of your problem it would be worth trying the ali's again for a while, regain your form then try the ACE's a second time. When you get back to form shoot some of each in close succession and see if you can feel any difference. Up to full draw should feel the same; it's the bit after that where differences usually show most.

starkicker

i expereinced problems with carbons when I first changed over about 3 years ago. came to the conclusion that they are more unforgiving of problems with shooting form. They expecially highlighted a bad release problem i didn't realise i had. Working on my release and perservering with the carbons eventually enabled me to enhance my form and thereby my grouping....hope this helps a little

wingate_52

Not a problem, but changing from carbon Fatboys to carbon/alloy Navigators sure feels different, even indoors. Not neccessarily better but there is a different feel to the arrow when it leaves the bow.

Flandyman

merv said:
not with arrows actually,but with the shooting of them.
bought myself a new set of aces,i have to say that shooting them as apposed to aluminiums is quite different.
Has anybody else encountered problems changings from aluminiums to aces in respect to groups or more accurately the lack of.
did it take you long getting into the groove so to speak,i know that long term they are the business,but at the minute i wouldnt want to go further back than 20 yards just in case.
Any little tips on how to get back to the form i had shooting aluminiums previous before the change would be appreciated.
Changing from alis to these will require you to reset-up your bow - you will need to re-tune - they are less forgiving than alis and will show up even minor errors in your form. That said - sort the tune and your form and you will see better groups and higher scores !

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I must confess that when I changed from my XX75's to ACE my groups improved. But that was after I spent a good amount of time changing the setup of the bow and making sure everything was absolutely spot on, or as close as I could make it. Of course its not and I need to spend some time tuning the bow but the groups are not too bad. Good place to start the tuning process.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I recall an article in Archery Focus, from Don Rabska.

He reckoned that centreshot was much more critical on skinny arrows. He recommended setting up ACEs and X10s, so that the tip of the point lay at the outside edge of the string (and not the edge of the shaft, as is quite often illustrated). And then adjust the rest so that none of it protrudes past the arrow shaft...

doubletop

slightly off topic abit but i have just changed my tab to a platform tab from the good old beginners tab and im having similar problems though has got better with lots of arrows shot. what im trying to say is that any change to your current set up will cause a blimp in form/scores. i think you need to persevere and depending on the size of the change will determine the size of the blimp

Blackadder

Agree with doubletop, I see this a lot down the club. Someone will change to a new bit of kit, say fitting a longrod for the first time, and it will screw up thier scores. They then give up and go back to shooting without it.

Switching to ACEs is going to screw your groups unless you spend a good few sessions getting used to them. They need careful setting up, as stated the centre shot should be half an arrow width out, not a full width as with ally's. They are also really unforgiving of bad looses, try shooting some bareshaft ACEs and plucking one - the damn thing will nearly go around the corner even with a good tune!
Most of all, persevere! Don't be tempted to switch back to ally's for out doors. The sight marks for ACEs are much better (get a basic tune then loft one at your old ally 90m mark and watch it go sailing over the top!), they are faster and they are much more forgiving in the wind.

IMHO changing to a decent set of carbons is the single biggest equipment-only thing you can do to improve scores.