Compound advice - touching nose

Easytigers

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I've recently bought a Core Zeal compound bow as an alternative to recurve. I'm not taking it ultra-seriously but want to shoot it something like properly!

I've tinkered around with the draw length and have set it at 27.5" which feels comfortable...It gives me a consistent anchor point with a hand held release aid. Thing is that the string is nowhere near my nose (it's about 1.5" from it). I have quite a small nose anyway but even it was bigger, I'd still not be close. How important is it??? Most archers that I've seen shoot have the string making contact with their noses but not sure I'm going to manage it!

ATA is 38" if that helps and the bracing height is 7 3/4"

Many thanks in advance,
Easytigers

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I worried about the same thing. If you use a peep sight in the string, that is a reference that very few do without, so I guess it is more important than nose contact. Sometimes with a release aid, the string ends up in the release jaws and well in front of the bent knuckles of the draw hand. It's like having a draw hand that is 1" longer than the one we use for recurve.
It's important to have the anchor point of the draw hand good and solid. I also think that trying to get the string on the nose can lead to some archers having to draw back further than is really good for their finishing of the shot. I would stop increasing the bow's draw length once I felt that I was having to pull back further than is good for alignment and back tension.
IF you did set the draw length too long, you might find an observer would see the cams rotate off their stops at full draw, as you creep forwards to a stronger full draw posture.

Easytigers

Thanks Geoff. Good to know that it's not just me. I fiddled around and did try increasing the draw length but it just felt all wrong.

jerryRTD

You said that you have a consistent anchor but what is it and where is it? It seems to me that if your nose is 1.5'' away from the string on a 38inch A to A bow then some thing is wrong. Most compound archers anchor with the index finger knuckle behind the jaw bone just below the ear ( Have a look at the picture Bimble posted on the I can't shoot with glasses thread) That is about 3 inches further back than a recurve anchor and it's going to feel a bit odd to start with. But it is worth doing for the extra draw length and better anchor.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Or D loop length might be too long. Could be a few things or combination. If you post a picture it would be easier to comment :)

Easytigers

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why it posted so many times! I'm not actually shooting btw and am fully aware that my daughter is on a trampoline behind me!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why it posted so many times! I'm not actually shooting btw and am fully aware that my daughter is on a trampoline behind me!

Attachments

jerryRTD

I would recommend that you change your anchor point. At the moment you are drawing to a height about the same as a recurve draw. I think your anchor should be an inch to an inch and half higher so that the arrow is at the same height as the corner of the mouth; and an inch to an inch and a half further back so that the index finger knuckle fits behind the jaw bone just below the ear. That will allow you to put your nose on the string and look through your peep no problem. Nose contact while not vital , as you have the peep for a reference it helps you to settle on the peep and centre it. In short you are drawing it too much like a recurve.

Last edited:

backinblack

I think also that you are shooting at close range means that the string is angled away from your nose. I'm sure it will be closer at a normal shooting distance.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I'm not that unhappy with the anchor point to be honest. It looks like your forefinger and middle finger are forming a good V that your jaw bone sits in. A good anchor is where the corner of the jaw bone wedges right in to the apex of these two fingers. If your jaw bone is low trying to raise it might be uncomfortable.

Anyway that requires a form change. More direct observations are:

1. You are pointing the bow at the ground with your arms but your head/body is looking straight forward. This will pull the string away from your nose. I tried it just now and the result was the same...
Img 1
note the angle of the arrow. You need to use the whole of your upper body to change elevation, not your arms.

2. The distance from your fingers to the arrow nock is very long. The release aid neck is long. There are many release aids out there with significantly shorter necks. This will help to pull in the string to the face... see below
Img 2
3. The D loop can be shortened down to about 1/2". This will also help bring in the string to the face, all without a need to change your anchor............... yet.

4. A slight tilt forward of the head may also help..... but only slight, don't go looking over the top of your glasses :)

Attachments

Easytigers

Thank you KidCurry! Lots to try out...I was pointing the bow towards a bag of sand on the floor (just in case!) to try and get a photo :) I'll get someone to take a photo of me at the range later so that I can get a proper look and then try some of the suggestions.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you imagine a field shooter shooting downhill, they would not stand upright, looking level and pointing the bow down to the target on the low ground. They would lean over at the waist until their normal upper body posture was tilted to aim and direct the arrow downward. The bow moves with the archer's upper body, not just the front arm.
I think you you take a photo at home leaning over so you were facing the bag on the ground.

jerryRTD

Thanks Jerry. Will try to get out to the range today and have a go.
I need to make a correction I said that I thought you anchor point should be an inch to an inch and a half higher. Having spent some time in front of the mirror to see where mine is and I discovered that your anchor only needs to come up a little.
Best advice I can give you is to watch Jesse Broadwater and Steve Anderson on You Tube
www.youtube.com/watch?=1prplomd0fg

Note the position the their achors

Last edited: