Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree3Likes
Discuss Does air temparature have an affect?? at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange Forums; cold weather will make a difference to just about every aspect of your shooting, your ...
    In the Blue

Thanks
    cold weather will make a difference to just about every aspect of your shooting, your muscles will behave differently because their blood supply will be restricted, your equipment will be more rigid and even your riser will be slightly shoter due to thermal contraction. The actual changes are mostly negligible unless you have set things to their extreme limits so your physiology will be the main cause of your problems. That is not to discount the different arrow relative stiffness but it would place them into the extreme end of being a suitable set up if it was just that.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Gold AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by little-else View Post
    ... and even your riser will be slightly shoter due to thermal contraction.
    0.3 thou" (0.0003") over 20⁰C
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    But the earth contracts as it cools so making the distance shot, shorter. By my calculations the earth's contractions over 30m is just enough to counter the effect of riser shrinkage, and arrow shrinkage, that shortens the draw length when used with a clicker. Limb shrinkage and string shrinkage offset one another due to the effect on BH which affects arrow speed.
    fbirder and adoadam like this.

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks
    Don't forget the variations in gravity... If you're shooting up on Dartmoor, it's measurably less than at the base of Snowdon by about 0.04%
    fbirder likes this.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Blue

Thanks

Please visit our sponsors and help keep AIUK online!

COE of Al alloys is typically 22x10-6 per degree. For the average riser this is 0.6mm difference between a freezing and a boiling day. Now, if your limbs are very tight in their sockets that half a millimetre can cause them to stick. Some risers are Mg alloys and they have a greater COE, typically 26x10-6.
    so, chuck your riser away and get a new titanium riser. Look at the advantages, stronger, lower COE (8.4 for commercial TiAlV alloy) so no sticky limb pockets, you can anodise them all sorts of fancy colours and it will not rub off and better still so strong you can throw it against a wall in disgust when you shoot low in cold weather and it wont be damaged.
    I havent got the Ti risers into production yet but I do have the front landing gear from a Concorde to cut up as stock material. I hate machining Ti, it clogs your cutters and the swarf spontaneously ignites and you cant put it out. Fun to shoot at 50mm thick plates with large calibre weapons though, the sparks that come off are so brilliant they are dazzling ( 20 and 30mm cannon, .5 browning etc) I used to love the DARPA/MoD sponsored PhD research projects my dept got me involved in. I once put a load of bullets into armoured glass and the end product was sold as an art installation in an office block.
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    0.3 thou" (0.0003") over 20⁰C

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234