Excessively high nocking point...?

ladyboyharv

...currently shoot a Hoyt HPX 27 inch with med 40lb quatro limbs.

At what point would you say 'no way, that's just too high for the nocking point?'

I shoot OK...MB scores on and off from very little/zero practice...but my nock point has always been high, on my current bow with several different sets of arrows/spines, and also, with my old bow...it's always seemed excessively high.

I'd be interested to know what people think is just too high, and would indicate a problem I am not spotting?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Nocking point is a balance between a lot of factors: tiller, arrow length/diameter, brace height. And that's before you factor in your style, the height of the rest above shelf, fletch height etc. Almost any NP can be accommodated if that works with the other factors.

Does the bow tune? Where is the bare shaft in relation to the fletched group at 30m?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
You'd have to quantify that a little.
Old references talk about half an inch above square as being in the normal range, which is quite high...

ThomVis

I had the top of my bottom nocking point at 12mm above square when I shot my bow with a low tiller setting (2mm). I've now reset with new limbs, tiller around 6mm, NP 7mm.
Like Timid Toad said, it's a balance, when things are right. If you have to set to NP higher gradually, it might be a sign your limb(s) are giving in.