Finger Pressure/Arrows

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Hi All.
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere as I know I have read it somewhere but I have been unable to locate it. I am trying to convince myself and others my arrows are not too strong. Am I right in thinking that when looking at the Eston chart the bow weight is the actual poundage on your fingers or is it the stated weight of the bow. And if it is the finger pressure how much per inch over the standard 28? do you calculate to get finger weight?
Regards.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The chart requires the weight that is on your fingers at your full draw. As a rule of thumb, 2lbs extra for every inch over the bow's measured draw(usually 28")

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The charts require the actual weight you hold. You can estimate it by the usual rules of thumb - 2lb or 5% of marked weight added/subtracted, per inch over or under 28 inches drawn (that is to say: 26.25 inches to the button) - but it's not necessarily going to be accurate. That might not be an issue if the weight figure you arrive at falls solidly within one of the bands on the chart, but if it's borderline there might be problems.

Whether the weight figure you calculate turns out to be accurate can depend on a number of different factors - whether the marking on the limb is absolutely correct, how the manufacturer measures the weight and at what draw length, whether the draw weight has been adjusted up or down from the point at which the manufacturer measures it...

The best thing to do, is to measure the weight at your draw length, with a good set of scales (ones which have a known accuracy). That cuts out the uncertainty.