First Time Using Clicker

WinBase

After shooting on and off for a while, it became apparent that I needed to get to grips with a clicker as my vertical spread when having a go at 70m the other week was awful, exposing a tendency of 'creeping' the string which I?ve found difficult to overcome at times, especially when a little tired. I stayed away from the clicker because I assumed it would be really awkward to get the timing right, and too much a backward step for recreational shooting, however what a revelation it was after only a couple of dozen arrows, and I wish I?d have used one sooner, as gone is the worry about getting the draw length spot on each time. I?ve still a long way to go, but wanted to say to any others who are slightly reticent, just give it a go, you may be surprised that it isn?t as difficult as you imagine. GL.

ianB

World Champion - No Clicker

After shooting on and off for a while, it became apparent that I needed to get to grips with a clicker as my vertical spread when having a go at 70m the other week was awful, exposing a tendency of 'creeping' the string which I’ve found difficult to overcome at times, especially when a little tired. I stayed away from the clicker because I assumed it would be really awkward to get the timing right, and too much a backward step for recreational shooting, however what a revelation it was after only a couple of dozen arrows, and I wish I’d have used one sooner, as gone is the worry about getting the draw length spot on each time. I’ve still a long way to go, but wanted to say to any others who are slightly reticent, just give it a go, you may be surprised that it isn’t as difficult as you imagine. GL.
- - - Updated - - -

World Champion - No Clicker

After shooting on and off for a while, it became apparent that I needed to get to grips with a clicker as my vertical spread when having a go at 70m the other week was awful, exposing a tendency of 'creeping' the string which I?ve found difficult to overcome at times, especially when a little tired. I stayed away from the clicker because I assumed it would be really awkward to get the timing right, and too much a backward step for recreational shooting, however what a revelation it was after only a couple of dozen arrows, and I wish I?d have used one sooner, as gone is the worry about getting the draw length spot on each time. I?ve still a long way to go, but wanted to say to any others who are slightly reticent, just give it a go, you may be surprised that it isn?t as difficult as you imagine. GL.

Attachments

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Only when no one else was using a clicker - in fact probably not legal then.
As soon as they were declared legal every top end shooter tried it, found their scores improved and archery changed.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
After shooting on and off for a while, it became apparent that I needed to get to grips with a clicker as my vertical spread when having a go at 70m the other week was awful, exposing a tendency of 'creeping' the string which I’ve found difficult to overcome at times, especially when a little tired. I stayed away from the clicker because I assumed it would be really awkward to get the timing right, and too much a backward step for recreational shooting, however what a revelation it was after only a couple of dozen arrows, and I wish I’d have used one sooner, as gone is the worry about getting the draw length spot on each time. I’ve still a long way to go, but wanted to say to any others who are slightly reticent, just give it a go, you may be surprised that it isn’t as difficult as you imagine. GL.
Very glad you are enjoying shooting still. These gizmos are aids for better shooting, not there to torture you, especially if you are using them correctly. You'll find as you practice more you'll be able to refine your clicker technique further. I too put it off for a long time, but not sure I could do without it now, on my olympic recurve, anyway.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
After shooting on and off for a while, it became apparent that I needed to get to grips with a clicker as my vertical spread when having a go at 70m the other week was awful, exposing a tendency of 'creeping' the string which I’ve found difficult to overcome at times, especially when a little tired.
The creeping string can be overcome without a clicker.... but why not let the clicker take the strain? Glad it is working out for you.
If your draw is continuing once the string reaches your face, the clicker will go. If the draw stops; it doesn't click. It's a simple but effective bit of kit.

Whitehart

Ian, excuse my ignorance who is he, what year, assume 1440 round with aluminium arrows and what score.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It 1967, and it's Ray Rogers. He shot a world record of 1203 that year, but fell short of it at the World Champs, by how much I'm not sure.

ianB

Dear Mr. Timid Toad,
Clickers and popper were being used, legally long before 1967. Ask John Williams about him as i did. BTW John Williams was Olympic Champion 1972. Don't disagree that the higher levels of accuracy required today require a clicker. But shooting a clicker as a beginner does not help the new archer understand the shot.
Ian Bayley

Only when no one else was using a clicker - in fact probably not legal then.
As soon as they were declared legal every top end shooter tried it, found their scores improved and archery changed.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
One of the aspects of a shot that many archers struggle with is the last cm or so of the draw.
Newer archers quite often get to the face with the string and have a problem knowing how far to go after that. They also reach the face and look for the sight and stall the draw, or creep.
It would be very helpful if they could see a heads up display of where the draw hand is and the string. To see the movement and the draw increasing.
A cheaper method is a clicker which tells the learner where to go next and the clicker, by its silence, indicates they have further to go. The click confirms where they are and which way they were going just prior.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
A lot of high end coaching programmes in other countries start their beginners on a clicker from the outset. The raison d'etre being that it's an integral part of a modern bow. If you're going to shoot oly style you'll need a clicker, same as a sight, rod etc. If you see what I mean.
WB, don't let anyone put you off. There's loads of threads on here about clicker or not, but at the end of the day oly style archers shoot better scores with them.

ianB

Hello Mr. Whiteheart,

Ray Rogers, 1967 World Archery Champion.

Aluminum Easton X7 I think.
Hoyt either a 5pm or 4pm.
FITA round
I think he held the WR with 1229.
Not sure what he shot at the WC.

ian bayley

Rog600

I've just started with a clicker. Some draws I get to a point where a squeeze gets me through the clicker; other draws, no matter what I squeeze, it won't go and I come down. Learning to come down has been hard and I've shot plenty through the clicker.

I have learnt that the variation in cast manifesting itself as variable height on the target is due to slight variation in draw length but that this is only itself a symptom of variation in form.

I therefore have come to think of the clicker as a form-checker rather than a draw length indicator.

It was introduced to me once I was fully understanding how to get onto my back muscles and getting inside the bow.

I can see why coaches might wish to start archers off with them for this reason. However, I can also see that there may be problems with beginners' arrow lengths and using a clicker.

I have learnt just how much variation there has been in my draw length prior to using a clicker due to the variation in form from shot to shot. I realise that indoors I have been getting away with this variation to a certain extent with a heavy bow.

Perhaps the clicker is as useful as a coaching aid as it is an integral part of an Olympic recurve. Could it be used as part of a barebow archer's coaching, for example, and then removed? Perhaps.

I hope that makes sense.

ianB

Hello Mr. Timid Toad,

I don't dispute that you believe every word , but your wrong.
One of the big problems not just in our sport but in most is that the beginner looks at what top shooters use and think that must be correct for them. I suppose that is what advertising is for. But for someone to start with a clicker will result in the archer never knowing the shot and the joy of the shot. Clickers bring tears.

ian bayley

A lot of high end coaching programmes in other countries start their beginners on a clicker from the outset. The raison d'etre being that it's an integral part of a modern bow. If you're going to shoot oly style you'll need a clicker, same as a sight, rod etc. If you see what I mean.
WB, don't let anyone put you off. There's loads of threads on here about clicker or not, but at the end of the day oly style archers shoot better scores with them.

Rog600

But for someone to start with a clicker will result in the archer never knowing the shot and the joy of the shot.

ian bayley
Can't see the logic in that. It's akin to saying that insisting a child wears a helmet when they start batting will result in the child never enjoying hitting a six. Nonsense.

How can anything that improves the shot detract from the shot? You wouldn't advocate putting your limbs on upside down to enjoy the shot. Nor would you put your trainers on the wrong feet just so you could really enjoy the views and the fresh air during your 10k. Sure you don't need a clicker to shoot, just like you don't need a pair of spikes to run round a track but I can't see how using either can detract from the enjoyment of the respective sports.

ianB

Hi, Mr. Rog600,

Obviously I talk nonsense. Not going to try and persuade you to think differently. You must be an expert.

ian bayley

Rog600

Not an expert at all. Just can't see the logic. I tried to illustrate why it doesn't make sense. But I am happy for you to try to persuade me differently as that's part of how I (we) learn.

Tell me why anything that helps me execute a repeatable good shot doesn't allow me to enjoy it? Are you alluding to an archer's psychological well-being? Is it a suggestion that we can get bogged down in seeking perfection or technology?

Or having read other posts is this a "things were better in the old days" post in which case, I'm out.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I've just started with a clicker. Some draws I get to a point where a squeeze gets me through the clicker; other draws, no matter what I squeeze, it won't go and I come down.
I guess everyone who has ever used a clicker has experienced that, from time to time.
I am pretty sure there is more than one reason for that. However, logic tells me that if the clicker won't click, whatever the archer thinks they are doing, it isn't increasing their draw length.
One example of this, is the archer is squeezing a muscle group that is not increasing the draw length. The draw elbow may be moving round but the draw hand is stationary. Another example is that as the draw hand moves back, the bow hand is creeping back towards the face at the same pace.
To use a clicker, the two hands involved have to move further apart. I know that is self evident; but making that happen is vital and can't be left to chance. In many cases, the draw hand is felt to be working while the bow hand/arm/shoulder are ignored.
Could it be used as part of a barebow archer's coaching, for example, and then removed?
I think it could be used for that but only if it is used to show the archer what is happening to their draw length AND at the same time learning where the variations are being created. There is a danger with using a clicker that it will trigger the release, and with barebow, when the clicker is removed, the release takes on a different mechanism.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Clickers bring tears.
Yes indeed. Or perhaps it should read, " misuse of clickers brings tears."

You are right that clickers are not for everyone; just like sights aren't. Not the sight's fault that the archer misuses it. Or it could be the archer has a genuine desire to shoot barebow and the sight has never been a problem.
I see nothing wrong with archers following their own chosen pathways. What can be a problem is the bad press some items are given; when the item itself is not the problem, but the information about its use.

WinBase

Thanks to you all for the input, and as a newbie to a clicker all i can say is that anything that helps with consistency has got to be a good thing right?. while id agree its probably not for the absolute beginner, I personally cant see how i (or anyone) could make big improvements at 60yd + without getting to grips with one once your form becomes reasonable. GL

Rog600

I guess everyone who has ever used a clicker has experienced that, from time to time.
I am pretty sure there is more than one reason for that. However, logic tells me that if the clicker won't click, whatever the archer thinks they are doing, it isn't increasing their draw length.
One example of this, is the archer is squeezing a muscle group that is not increasing the draw length. The draw elbow may be moving round but the draw hand is stationary. Another example is that as the draw hand moves back, the bow hand is creeping back towards the face at the same pace.
To use a clicker, the two hands involved have to move further apart. I know that is self evident; but making that happen is vital and can't be left to chance. In many cases, the draw hand is felt to be working while the bow hand/arm/shoulder are ignored.

I think it could be used for that but only if it is used to show the archer what is happening to their draw length AND at the same time learning where the variations are being created. There is a danger with using a clicker that it will trigger the release, and with barebow, when the clicker is removed, the release takes on a different mechanism.
Yes, that's exactly it; I've realised amongst other things, that at longer distances I've been lifting my arm and not tilting my hips and also that at times whilst I think I've been expanding, my front shoulder is actually starting to hunch. I had an idea this was happening but as is my wont, I needed to actually do it/experience it/find out for myself.

First shot at 100 with the clicker saw the arrow comfortably clear the boss showing just how much I hadn't been drawing without.