Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FITA Skills and Drills

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Murray's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

FITA Skills and Drills

Question from my older archery friends... the older the better probably Back in the days when WA was FITA, they had a downloadable guide which had something like a 12-week set of training guides and drills for developing skills
    It was pretty detailed and covered all aspects of shooting form in sets of exercises that could be done to improve form as well as some practical tips on how to check you have proper arrow clearance on both bow and chestguard.

It was some years ago (probably about 20 years!!). Anyone else remember something similar? (I'm not hallucinating!) I remember using some of the drills, and was thinking recently that it'd be pretty interesting to go through them again.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story - Mark Twain

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Murray's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    http://www.archersdrouais.com/.../Plan_d_entrainement... <- this is an old training plan, in there it says "Suggestions for your weekly sessions (technical, physical and psychological) have been published some years ago on the WA Web site: www.archery.org" I also found a WA coaching presentation which talked about WA resources which included one year of weekly training tips - that's possibly what I'm thinking about, but I can't find it anywhere.

In the White
    Thanks
    So FITA is no more, they've changed their name to World Archery
    It's also worth noting that that a lot of research has gone into all types of sports over time and many recommendations change; quite a few of the drills and skills recommendations have changed, so I wouldn't recommend getting resources that are very old (except perhaps for interest)

If you head over to the WA website https://worldarchery.org/Coaching you will find links to documents that include training plan templates. The coaching manuals do contain some skills and drills suggestions.
    hit the colourful bits

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Rono. I've been in the sport for decades, and coaching at all levels for a similar length so yeah, I know all about the current resources, but thanks for taking the time to contribute, I do appreciate it.

I've got up to date copies of the WA coaching manuals (I've also been to international coaching conferences in both Rome and Korea and worked with some of the top coaches and archers across the globe). I would challenge your assertion that the drills have changed however, the basic skills today are the same basic skills that were being taught in the US and Korea back in the 80s and 90s, with some variations and additions, and of course more focus nowadays on the development of sports nutrition, sports specific psychology, full-body S&C etc. The modern manuals do contain drills, but there are some older techniques and concepts which were quite simple but highly effective.

The materials I'm trying to find were a week-by-week set of progression steps which I felt would be useful to dissect to create something very much more specific, but built on similar foundations, for my students. I could invent them from scratch, but my time is very limited so I was hoping to get a starting point and easy to access plagarisation source

Or perhaps I'm just a sucker for nostalgia

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    I would challenge your assertion that the drills have changed however, the basic skills today are the same basic skills that were being taught in the US and Korea back in the 80s and 90s,
    For me, (I've also been in archery for some 40 years and a coach for 20 years) the biggest change is that these skills and drills are being taught to our coaches to teach to beginners and novices. What we all once thought of as "advanced" and "olympic squad" methods of training are now being taught as basics for grass roots archers.

A massive revelation for me as a coach of many years standing, was a seminar in which Lloyd Brown, coach of top archers, said "this is what you should be teaching your beginners"
    Imagine that, an olympic coach talking about teaching beginners and grass roots archers

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks Rono. I've been in the sport for decades, and coaching at all levels for a similar length so yeah, I know all about the current resources, but thanks for taking the time to contribute, I do appreciate it.
    Great that you've found them. Sometimes it can be a challenge to find things on certain websites even when you know they're there :-)

... I would challenge your assertion that the drills have changed however, the basic skills today are the same basic skills that were being taught in the US and Korea back in the 80s and 90s, with some variations and additions, and ....
    The challenge is valid for much of the basic skill sets, but I will remain cautious about recommending some of the older published texts. Some early "biomechanics" publications provided slightly misleading conclusions for example. Occasionally we have seen competitive archers getting injuries of an "overuse syndrome" nature - that have been identified as caused by a misunderstanding of recommended techniques for example.
    But it's true that at at its core, the majority of physical technique training all stems from the mid 80's

The materials I'm trying to find were a week-by-week set of progression steps which I felt would be useful to dissect to create something very much more specific, but built on similar foundations, for my students. I could invent them from scratch, but my time is very limited so I was hoping to get a starting point and easy to access plagarisation source

Or perhaps I'm just a sucker for nostalgia
    I'm sure there are many coaches that would love to find a seminal work ;-)
    hit the colourful bits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast