Fletching Arrows The Easy Way

BOSE

Hi Folks.

I have just used A Toll Gate Fletching Jig to Re Fletch my Arrows with Spin Wings but the blessed clamp you grt with it drove me bonkers,

So I just put them on by hand, and just turned the Jig Switch round to each position, worked a treat, then just a tiny bit, of waterproof tape, top and bottom of fletch, to secure them.

Job done, why struggle if you dont have to.

Cheers.
Tony.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
Never done spinwings but thought you used jig to make pencil marks on the arrows then apply fletching by hand and eye?

BOSE

Well Perhaps I'm Doing It Right Then?

Hi Folks.

Well perhaps I'm doing it right then, just couldn't get on with the clamp at all,
One of the problems is the side holding clamp magnet on The Tollgate is so strong, so everytime I tried to line The Vane up in the clamp, the magnet just wacks it, to itself, to the clamp,therefore throwing everything out of line.
Cheers.
Tony.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
cestria said:
Never done spinwings but thought you used jig to make pencil marks on the arrows then apply fletching by hand and eye?
There's more than one way to skin a cat...
Though putting them along a line is easier than using a jig, I find. Using a Beiter wing holder makes it easier still (or rather: easier to get allignment etc accurate).

I have known people who dispense with the pencil line as well. The argument seems to be that it's not really worth the hassle for practice arrows. Just whack the things on in more or less the right position, and that's good enough.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I always use a Tollgate jig for doing my spinnies.

Place a spinwing in the clamp, as per a normal vane, with a strip of vane, the same width as the double-side tape, protruding.

Fold the protruding strip over, opposite to vane curl, and stick on a strip of tape.

Place clamp on jig and fletch as per normal.

Works for me.

Mick

BOSE

Spinwings Not Kurly Wings

Hi.

These just look like ordinay Vanes with a slight bend to them, there not Kurly Vanes, so no tape include with them, you just stick them on, using Fletching Glue, as normal Vanes.
Cheers.
Tony.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
BOSE said:
Hi.

These just look like ordinay Vanes with a slight bend to them, there not Kurly Vanes, so no tape include with them, you just stick them on, using Fletching Glue, as normal Vanes.
Cheers.
Tony.
Spinwings are just like Kurly Vanes.

If they don't come with double-sided and end tape then they ain't the genuine Spinwing.

Or do you mean Quickspins?

Mick

Last edited:

BOSE

They Are Nap Quick Spin Not Spin Things, Sorry?

Hi Mick
I stand corrected they are NAP QUICK SPIN, NOT Spin Wings, has first,apologies all round.
Cheers.
Tony. Alias BOSE.

GreenSteve

tried nap quickspins they where very easy wiht a fletching jig but too heavy so last night re fletched with kurly vanes used the jig and had no issues allowed magnet to take hold then just slid it down into position
also used car bodylines tape to top and tail, wanted a bright green tape to match the fletchings :cheerful:

Christopher Lee

I made a very portable clamp out of file spines that looks niffy and works well:

And it can be used to rub the edge of the vanes down securely...

Probably not essential, but it does help.

BOSE

A Very Neat Clamp

Hi Christopher Lee.

A very niftY and neat clamp, but what are Spine Files?
Cheers.
Tony alias BOSE.

Christopher Lee

Hi Tony,

It's a spine for plastic sheet filing systems.

Basically, there's a folded plastic sheet which one shoves papers into. Then to secure it all, a tight U-shaped plastic spine is slipped from one end and slided up (or down) the length of the pleastic sheet and VOILA - you have a document file. Apparently it's an international system as the spines I got from the Stationers were made in Germany. Costed about 20p for an A4 length which I cut up to make several vane clamps.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS!