Form photos

JohnK

As far as I can tell, this is the most appropriate section for this sort of thing. If not, I'd be grateful if a kindly moderator could move it :)

Donned some thermals and a hat yesterday afternoon on getting home from work and got my wife to take a few pics of me at full draw. Any constructive criticism of my form is welcome (and any funny comments too):

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Excellent form, John! I wish mine looked like that.

I assume the left eye's closed because it's your dominant eye. That's what Don Rabska does, so no bad thing.

JohnK

Little Miss Purple said:
Wear tighter jeans next time :beer: (and remember the colour should be green or white)
Errr. :eek: That's what happens when you lose weight and your jeans slip a bit after belting on your quiver.

As for the colour, I'll exercise my right to wear whatever colour clothes I please while I shoot, unless forced to do otherwise :D

Field Archer

All looks good to me. At first I did think that your bow arm was perhaps a little low (photo 3), but you are aiming slightly downwards which accounts for it.

Grass need a cut though.

JohnK

TJ Mason said:
Excellent form, John! I wish mine looked like that.

I assume the left eye's closed because it's your dominant eye. That's what Don Rabska does, so no bad thing.
Thank you, very kind :)

My left eye closes because it just does that. I'm actually very right-eye dominant because my left eye has no central vision.

JohnK

Field Archer said:
All looks good to me. At first I did think that your bow arm was perhaps a little low (photo 3), but you are aiming slightly downwards which accounts for it.

Grass need a cut though.
Yes it does. As soon as it's a bit warmer, I'll see to that.

And thanks :)

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
No criticism - looks fine. Good enough for a 1250 anyway :)

JohnK

Murray said:
No criticism - looks fine. Good enough for a 1250 anyway :)
Blimey. Thanks very much :) Now I'll have to make a serious attempt to get somewhere near that.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Yeah, that's where the other 98% of your shooting comes into play - consistency/focus/concentration/arousal Levels/confidence... ;)

JohnK

Murray said:
Yeah, that's where the other 98% of your shooting comes into play - consistency/focus/concentration/arousal Levels/confidence... ;)
Tell me about it. :boggled:

Ditching my habit of coming to full draw and somehow holding a few mm of the point under the clicker for ages is the current work in progress.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Form looks fine, but the strap on your chestguard's twisted. :raspberry

Mick

JohnK

morphymick said:
Form looks fine, but the strap on your chestguard's twisted. :raspberry
Horrors! :melodrama :D

I need a new one anyway. As soon as I've recovered from forking out for the Helix, I'm going to pick up one of those clever Arrowhead ones.

Tuck

Only one serious observation that could drastically affect your scores...

Your Hat - string alignment could be 0.0005 mm to the right!

This could take you from 1259 to 1260 FITA

Shirt

In the above shot, it looks like your bow arm has a bit of a kink in it, but that could (and probably is) just the way the jumper is hanging off it.

Looks nice, though... wish I looked like that!

JohnK

Tuck said:
Your Hat - string alignment could be 0.0005 mm to the right!

This could take you from 1259 to 1260 FITA
That's a new one - blaming the hat :D

Shirt said:
In the above shot, it looks like your bow arm has a bit of a kink in it, but that could (and probably is) just the way the jumper is hanging off it.

Looks nice, though... wish I looked like that!
I think it is the jumper. My arm is pretty straight (although I have to remember to rotate the elbow).

And thanks. I wish I had your scores :)

Little Miss Purple said:
I have an arrowhead chest guard also....(I would add a smiley but they aren't here at the mo!!)
They never went away for me (but then, I can also remember some of the codes :raspberry ;)).

I was surprised to find that I'd need a medium fitting one. I think the sooner I get one the better - I never realised that my string touched my chest guard until I had these pics taken.

Marcus26

That's what Don Rabska does, so no bad thing
Interesting logic.

As said it looks good John. I am wondering a little about your posture and if you could straight you back some more. Perhaps crunch down more on the abs.