Help With Back Tension!

1554william

Hi all,
I am a recurve bare bow archer and have experienced problems with creeping in and lack of back tension, when I come to full draw and reach my anchor point I begin to aim and as I do so I begin to gradually creep forward and compress in, this usually effects my aiming and I find my arrow point rises.

I have tried to focus on keeping back tension however, it is a bit of a new concept to me, although I do understand the principle of taking the strain of the draw on my back and shoulder muscles.

Can anyone help with suggestions or practice techniques to help me improve back tension???

Thank you for your help and consideration!

Will

sreynolds

I would recommend that you practice with a clicker on your bow. Use of the clicker helps to train your brain and muscles to properly execute the load-anchor-transfer-expand-release process. Once you have that down, you can remove the clicker and resume shooting barebow. Your will remember the feel of doing things correctly long after you remove the training aid -- and you can always throw it back on periodically for a refresher if you find yourself "creeping" back into bad habits.
Another good thing to do is blind shooting at very close range. Shoot at a bale from about 5 feet away so you can't miss. Execute your normal shot process, but as you approach anchor, close your eyes and concentrate on how everything feels as you complete the last few steps. Have a coach or partner observe and provide feedback so you know when you are doing things correctly or not.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
This is not uncommon. Most newer archers( I am not sure how recently you started) get over busy on the aim and forget to keep the draw going. It can then start to happen that way so frequently that it becomes their normal way of shooting.
A clicker is a good way to make yourself draw back during that aiming time, so long as the clicker is well placed. It must allow you to draw to your face, and then draw some more, without going off before you get settled on the aim.
Sometimes back tension isn't really noticed as you may be so busy finishing your shot, or it might be the bow is well inside your capabilities to manage.
One way to feel the right tension is to make a loop of cord that is not quite long enough to mime your full draw posture while your hands are in the loop. ( bow hand into one end of the loop and string fingers into the opposite end... like using a stretchy exercise band)
With the loop being just a little too short(1icm perhaps), at full draw, the draw elbow will be slightly outside the imaginary line joining your hands. Try to move the elbow more into line , but don't strain anything, just be patient. The elbow will creep round and as the draw length cannot increase, the extra movement was made possible by the shoulder blade sliding towards the spine, bringing the elbow into alignment.
Sometimes archers get into the right alignment but don't use the shoulder blade to bring that about, it is just the shoulder joint hinging. When you move the blade, you will feel it, if you have never done it that way before. It feels as if the edge of the shoulder blade is squashing a muscle group up against the spine.

carl7

IMO, It's been my experience having just started a year ago, generally back muscles are not already developed enough just waiting for you to take up archery. Like any muscle it takes a lot of hard work over a lengthy period of time to strengthen enough to pull a bow. At least in the beginning you have to make a conscious effort on every shot to focus on the specific muscles. Yes at first it feels like there's nothing there to focus on but it will develop over time.

You have to work to strengthen it by preferably shooting a lot, and/or elastic band or weight workouts. Arnold didn't become Mr. Olympia in a year.

Then too, you may be overbowed, thus the questions:

How long have you been shooting? how regularly? what is your age? what's your bow weight?

carl7

Dear All, thank you for your help and prompt reply!!!
Yeah William, I'm approaching the top of the hill fast and it seems no matter how much I work a muscle, there is no progress...haha! but it does tone fairly well given enough time and regular shooting.

Hawkmoon

Just a quick one,
The easiest way to not creep forwards is to keep moving backwards. Don't make your anchor static, slow right down but keep moving. The draw, anchor and release are not three separate actions but all parts of one.

Tony G

joetapley

Good exercise reference on the "back" topic KSL International Archery

You can make a formaster out of a string loop or there are a number of commercially available ones. (Google home made formaster)

GoeffR's simple loop is a very good starting point. It is the first exercise in the SPT handbook referenced above.

adrianms

I'm pretty much a beginner ( 9 months) but using a clicker for the last couple of months just to steady out my draw. Basically pull back until string brushes my chest/nose/chin, then push forward wth my left bow arm towards the gold until the clicker " clicks" then I release.

Different strokes-sameresult

Hawkmoon

I'm pretty much a beginner ( 9 months) but using a clicker for the last couple of months just to steady out my draw. Basically pull back until string brushes my chest/nose/chin, then push forward wth my left bow arm towards the gold until the clicker " clicks" then I release.

Different strokes-sameresult
The bow arm should be static and the whole draw should come from the drawing arm, that will give you a much more stable and consistent shot.

Whitehart

The bow arm should be static and the whole draw should come from the drawing arm, that will give you a much more stable and consistent shot.
Although some would say the opposite and it is a case of pulling and pushing - Coach Kim and Vittorio I believe are in this camp - Vittorio mentioned at his presentation that less movement of the drawing hand at reference point/anchor - once the shot is set up is more consistent as physically moving the drawing had back creates inconsistencies

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
This is an interesting topic and one that seems to create discussions quite readily.
I think it is worth looking at from another point of view( not a better one; just different)
Executing the shots with control/relaxation, is number one priority, I feel. Get the execution wrong and no matter how good the preparation was, it is wasted.
Good posture is a great basis for helping the execution to go well. One common posture problem is the high bow shoulder. Getting that right is a big step on the way to good shooting. Keeping the bow shoulder low isn't always easy for some of us. It can be down at the start of the draw and rise during the draw. It would seem that getting it down once it has risen is a matter of pushing forwards. ( if you mime your full draw posture with a high bow shoulder, you can push the shoulder forwards and watch it drop at the same time.)
From that little mime it is possible to move on to the real thing and keep the shoulder down from start to finish by pushing the shoulder forwards all the time.
I think this is where the problems with "pushing" begin. How hard do you push? It is possible to push too hard without knowing. It is possible to push and move the shoulder blade forward, toward the target, and end up using muscles to keep the shoulder blade in that far forward position. Relax just a little at full draw( or weaken slightly) and it will creep back and up.
To have the shoulder down, but not pushed further forward, is better, I feel. It is down and kept down by muscles that are capable of holding it there.The shoulder blade is back towards the spine and doesn't need those muscles to keep it there, that would be used to push it even further forward.
So,I feel that "pushing" is a word that gets used two ways in the archery talks. Some use it to mean push further away with the bow arm. Some use it to mean push the bow shoulder down but no further.
The bow arm is in a weaker position than the draw arm.The draw hand can rest against the face; no such support is available for the bow hand. Getting the bow arm solid and in control is more difficult to achieve, than a steady draw hand.

Valkamai

Hi if I can add my two penny worth, to the discussion. As a recurve barebow archer as well I have found the following to be of importance in establishing a consistent draw.

1 a solid stable bow arm.
2 a smooth draw, ending in...
3 a repeatable fixed anchor point.

From the anchor position the release should then be made. There is no push forward, or continuation of draw backwards, those would be techniques to go through the clicker. As a barebow archer your repeatability should, MUST, come from a consistent anchor point. Any other attempted movement from your anchor before release can only cause inconsistencies. Also I would not recommend the use of a clicker, that will cause you to focus on that rather establishing a repeatable anchor without it (also if you're aiming with the point of the arrow, isn't the clicker going to get in the way ?)I would suggest drawing, count slowly to three (or say Mary had a little lamb, or whatever) whilst focusing on the point of the arrow to check for creep and then let down. Wait ten seconds and repeat. Do that ten times before you allow yourself a shot.
Practice only when you feel comfortable and strong. If you are getting tired stop, you will begin to creep and then you're not committing the correct anchor to muscle memory.
Little and often would be my recommendation.
Slowly it will improve.
Best of luck.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Any other attempted movement from your anchor before release can only cause inconsistencies. Also I would not recommend the use of a clicker, that will cause you to focus on that rather establishing a repeatable anchor without it (also if you're aiming with the point of the arrow, isn't the clicker going to get in the way ?)
Hi Valkamai I agree with your post; apart from the part above.
I think stopping at full draw is a recipe for creeping, unless the stop is so short that it coincides with the release.
Too much movement at full draw could be a source of variation, but not if the movement is repeated. A clicker encourages that repetition, takes out variations in draw length and almost forces the archer to be using the back muscles all the way to the release and beyond.

Valkamai

Thank you Geoff, I'm sorry but I still see no benefit in learning to shoot with a reference you are then going to remove and be without. I honestly believe that the best way to practice one particular style is to shoot that style.
Unless, of course, I have misunderstood and the OP is going to shoot ifaa barebow where a below arrow clicker is allowed.

Simon Banks

I shoot wooden arrows of my hand (ELB) I cut the arrows to 28" and draw them until I feel the pile on my hand. Then I release... Poor mans clicker ;-)

backinblack

A couple of exercises that I've found useful:

Press-ups in a door way - put your hands on either side of the door frame and allow your weight to sink into the space. Pull yourself out again by pulling your shoulder blades together. Also good for stretching your chest muscles which can help get a better line. You can widen your hands as your flexibility improves.

Dips with your back to a kitchen counter - turn your back to the counter, put your hands on the surface and, starting with your feet about a yard from the counter, drop your weight down and pull your shoulder blades together to get back up.

Best,
Backinblack

JohnK

Achieving correct back tension is very hard to describe in text, as you can see by the multitude of responses, some of which don't completely agree :)

It comes down to a combination of physical and mental techniques. Put simply, you need:

1. A bow of a draw weight that you can easily control.
2. Good posture and alignment.
3. A consistent and simple shot routine to run through.
4. Regular practice and exercise.

The bad news is that there's no shortcut, and there's no better way to get these requirements nailed down than to have a good coach or shooting partner who understands and can help you achieve them.

Good luck :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thank you Geoff, I'm sorry but I still see no benefit in learning to shoot with a reference you are then going to remove and be without. I honestly believe that the best way to practice one particular style is to shoot that style.
Unless, of course, I have misunderstood and the OP is going to shoot ifaa barebow where a below arrow clicker is allowed.
Hi Valkamai,
One of the things I notice with new archers is the way they pull the string to their face( call it anchor point for the moment).
Then they aim the sight at the gold. Then they wobble a while as they try to settle the sight.
I see that so often that I guess it is a natural thing to try to do. They seem to believe they have to become a statue from the time it takes to get on aim to the release. I imagine that rifle shooting is almost statue like in its steadiness, and perhaps they try to imitate that idea.
My thinking on this is, that trying to become statue like is flawed. Having drawn to the face, establishes a posture which is strong, hopefully. It is a strong posture for aiming and releasing. But trying to stay still is not good, it requires too much control, and more than is really necessary. Creeping form that posture is far more likely when the archer tries to stay still. Fatigue will bring that about if nothing else. Aiming is a distraction for so many that creeping happens as a by product of that, so creeping will happen unless steps are taken to avoid it. Just drawing a little further, is one of the best ways to prevent creep. Using a clicker is one of the best ways to encourage that slightly increasing draw. And the clicker has other benefits.( not to be mentioned here. heeheee!)

Valkamai

Geoffretired thank you for comments and I appreciate your logic and reasoning in this discussion. My reservation in this still less in learning to rely on something as an indicator that is not, in the long run, going to be used. To me its like advising someone to practice with a compound as the let off will help them to stop creeping, yes its true but ultimately not the same technique that will be used. Obviously I am using a ridiculous example for emphasis but I hope you understand my point.