Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holding a elb

In the Blue
    Thanks

holding a elb

I was at work the other day when an electrician we use turned up. from previous talks I know he does elb and coaches others. got chatting about some of my issues an he started showing me what i do wrong, basically everything apart from standing still! I m very good a not moving : D ) I hold the bow with a death grip, I stand too square, my wrist is angled wrong, I lock out my elbow etc. the death grip I will try and sort on sun, standing square might be a it more tricky as I do it as a result of the string keep whacking my piercing and knocking the bead off, my wrist is a injury prob but with persistence will be made to bend, my elbow also to do with injuries and not wanting to ping my nip. not bad for 5 mins instruction, will try some things tomorrow

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Get a chestguard.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I concentrated on 20yds for most of an hour. its going to take a while to change what I am used to doing but after the hour I was getting better and putting a couple in gold and rest in red. the thing that aches most is my neck, not used to turning it that far, on a positive note I didn't ping myelf : D

In the Green
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    Get a chestguard.
    What he said/+1

In the Gold

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNoodles View Post
    What he said/+1
    TT is not a 'he' He is a 'she'. Just thought you would like to know for future reference.

BillM
    If you wait long enough, the inevitable will finally happen.

Thanks
    I support the chest guard purchase to prevent painful contact too - I confess I've never drawn any style of bow back past my nipple to risk a ping like that and certainly wouldn't want to

It's interesting that you seem to be doing 'everything' wrong holding your bow - from what I've seen over the last few years at many longbow events is everyone tends to shoot ELB in their own way, to an extent, and some of the best longbow shooters I have seen have techniques that would probably make a coach recoil in horror.

Not sure what issues you are experiencing at the moment, whether they be scoring or grouping or suchlike, but many archers adapt the 'normal' grip and stance to suit their own needs especially if there are underlying physical or health issues.

Changes to grip or hand and shoulder alignment might to a more 'normal' position may in the short term address your issues but may also cause you increased fatigue and/or discomfort whilst shooting that will likely affect your enjoyment of the sport in the long term. If the neck ache persists then it's your body telling you it's being made to do something it doesn't like.

Why not take an opportunity to have another chat with this coach and see if there is a compromise grip & stance that still allows you to still get the scores but doesn't strain your body to the point of aches and pain.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast