Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fletch RW parabolic feathers...

In the White
    Thanks

How to fletch RW parabolic feathers...

Probably a bizarre question...

I have purchased 5" RW parabolic feathers from Merlin Archery to fletch onto my X23s. Is it possible to use my fletching jig (the Cartel one) to fletch these on, given the pronounced curve in the feathers?

If not, are there feathers that can be fletched straight on the arrow? I imagine it is cheaper to by straight fletchings than a jig that can do parabolics. I also have, in the house, my dad's Beiter Tri-Liner meant primarily for Spin-Vanes, if that would be any good for fletching them, but I imagine not.

Any help would be great!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, no problem. I tend to leave them on the jig for longer than I would with plastic vanes, just to make sure the glue has cured enough that the feather won't curl off the shaft.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    yeah, no problem. I tend to leave them on the jig for longer than I would with plastic vanes, just to make sure the glue has cured enough that the feather won't curl off the shaft.
    I was going to use tape on the feathers - I have had a lot of issues with glue on X23s and have decided to give my temper a rest this time round. Does the clamp not limit the curl on the feather?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well, you want the fletching flush to the shaft (and straight), you'll be taking the curve out (which is only there due to the asymmetric nature of the fletch base).

I've not tried tape with feathers, so good luck with that! I did find that last indoor season I also had trouble (for the first time ever) sticking vanes to my X23s... I put wraps on, and that solved it.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Thanks
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the profile of the feather have to do with it? I mean it doesn't much matter whether it's parabolic, or a shield shape, or triangular...
    This post reads like "helical" and parabolic are being confused?
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does the profile of the feather have to do with it? I mean it doesn't much matter whether it's parabolic, or a shield shape, or triangular...
    This post reads like "helical" and parabolic are being confused?
    When I opened up the pack of feathers I saw that the bases of them had a very pronounced curve and was worried that using a straight jig to fletch them would ruin any benefit I had from putting them on, especially as people said they needed a specific jig to get the most out of them. But after speaking to people on here, watching a Grizzly Jim video on fletching feathers and speaking to my dad who's done it before, there is no issue with using a straight jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast