Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much practice

In the Blue
    Thanks

How much practice

As a beginner, how much practice is too much? I have been down our practice Butt today and shot 200 arrows with no aches and pains, as long as I am not feeling the effects it that many a good idea. I know quality is better than quantity but my technique is not grooved yet which is why I am "cramming".

Nige

In the Gold
    Thanks
    The lack of aches and pains is good. What you may like to consider is whether you are actually practicing or just banging arrows at a target?
    If you begin to allow a poor technique to creep in at that intense level it could be very hard to change later. Try to get some quality supervision or coaching to make sure this doesn't happen.

In the White
    Thanks
    As long as you have proper technique, I wouldn't say it would hurt to do as many as you can possibly do. Just like people get used to running or doing pushups until it becomes easy, your muscles adjust to pulling a bow over and over again and if you don't increase the weight of your limbs, it should only get easier and easier to do more and more. But yea like lbp said, just make sure that your form is right and if it is, then don't worry that you can shoot over and over but just make sure to take your time aiming.

In the Black
    Thanks
    Technique, technique, technique.
    Every time you raise the bow you are doing microscopic damage to the body and if you do it wrong. it increases the chance of chronic damage. Work on technique and listen to your body when it's time to take a rest, if you don't your form will inevitably dip.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Hi

Agree with the above comments about getting the technique correct - sometime less is more!

My son is under the Archey GB Youth Development Scheme and spent the first 15-20 weeks of his programme just practicing in front of a mirror with an exercise band practicing the pre-draw and Draw positions and making sure his shoulders, arms etc we in the correct positions and rotating correctly

He then progressed onto a very light training bow (15lbs) to put these into practice, not shooting but practicing the correct posture and technique etc

ok its not the best fun in the world but it drills home and gets the body training in the correct methods

having said that the top Korean Archers can shoot up to 1000 arrows a day - but they are the best in the world and have developed the correct techniques since being able to walk!

In the White
    Thanks
    There is a saying in Bodybuilding world!!! No pain, no gain. But too much pain, negative gains. So pushing little bit over your ability makes the body increase its abilities. But listen to your body. Take good rest, good nutrition and often ignored... good stretching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast