Journals.

Old Bloke

Just been told about the journals so I had a shufftie. I have been to those pages before but everytime I have a "page not available" pops up. Tried three times in quick succession and got in. Very interesting to see archers bare their soul. Some similar threads running through the posts so:

Which one are you?

Unconscious - Incompetent
Conscious - Incompetent
Conscious - Competent
Unconscious - Competent

Beginners start at the top.

If you need these 4 stages of your archery career explaining, just ask.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Currently I'd say I'm Conscious Competent, with the odd lapse into Muppet. As long as enough practice opportunities exist and I'm not tempted to muck around with my form, I should progress to Unconscious Competent.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I'd probably put myself in the 'con/incomp' category... because I know I do things wrong.
But then I'd probably put 'conscious competent' as mid 1200s on a FITA...

The trouble with these things, is how you rate yourself depends on your skill level. If you fit into 'unconscious incompetent' you won't know it... :)

MikeD

I suspect I am conscious/incompetent, with ever increasing moments of competent.

Last edited:

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I'm a muppet :raspberry

(hovering Concious Competent, but mostly a muppet)

joetapley

Very Rumsfeldian

Unconscious - Incompetent: sizeable minority - includes many coaches :)
Conscious - Incompetent: the great majority - including me
Conscious - Competent: People standing on podia with medals round their necks
Unconscious - Competent: A non existant species

Mufti

Nice one OB, time for me to come clean :-
Lots of moments of unconsciousness, rarely to do with archery so I put myself into the 3rd bracket which should also include the description "delusions of competency".

Not sure I wholly agree with Joe's definition though.

Shirt

Quite definitely consciously incompetent. There are moments of unconscious competence where I forget what I'm doing and shoot a blinder, then at some point it catches up with me. (E.G. Lose a head to head 101-97, because I missed...)

Old Bloke

Excellent response guys. I will explain the stages a little later as a few PM's show that some arn't aware at what position in archery they are at and what the 4 stages mean to them.

Jo' I disagree with your last statement...non existant species. Those that are on their top form arrive at this door and open it. They then close it behind them and leave the rest on the outside, wondering where the key went.

Old Bloke

Forgot to say, that we loose the majority of archers (they find something else to do) when they get stuck in stage two, which for many arrives at 18 months and they depart in 36.

If the powers that be concentrated on the membership at this stage of the proceedings, then instead of a 25,000 membership we would have 52,000.!

Moan, moan, grumble,,grumble.

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I am most definately Conscious - Incompetent. I still have far to much to learn and being conscious just makes me far more aware of what I don't know. Still onwards and upwards.

LineCutter

Conscious of being partly competent.

Can I be partly consciously incompetent & partially unconsciously competent?

I know why it goes wrong (after the event), but when it goes right I have no idea how I did it right (such that I can consciously do it again).

Ultimately this is the problem in simplifying a question about a multi-stage, multi-dimensional skill into a small set of categories. I'm really torn between labelling myself as any of these (but will happily do it for something well defined, hand position on the grip for example).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Line Cutter, a very interesting comment.
I know why it goes wrong (after the event), but when it goes right I have no idea how I did it right (such that I can consciously do it again).
After the event, you know why it went wrong. Can you avoid letting it go wrong that way again?
When "it" goes right; is that the bit that happens subconsciously?If it is, should you need to know how to do it again? I think trusting the technique comes into this somewhere.

Old Bloke

Having been in the unconscious - competent stage in the past, and now getting back into the shooting thing, I find I am conscious - competent. I feel that it will take approx' a year of hard training coupled with success against those I want to better to get back in to the unconscious - competent level. It might even take two years. Eugh! Let me start Local, then Regional and then National. Yup, probably two years if I ain't foolin' myself. Sigh.

LineCutter

Line Cutter, a very interesting comment.
After the event, you know why it went wrong. Can you avoid letting it go wrong that way again?
When "it" goes right; is that the bit that happens subconsciously?If it is, should you need to know how to do it again? I think trusting the technique comes into this somewhere.
To continue the gross simplification:
When I know what I've done wrong I've been conscious of the shot & therefore of doing something I shouldn't have (why is it always after the event? -'cos I come down & restart otherwise). When I don't know what I'm doing (!) the conscious part stays out of the shot & the result is much better.