Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow - always need to aim off to right?

In the Green
    Thanks

Longbow - always need to aim off to right?

Hi,
    I've not been able to shoot for a few years due to health but I'm hoping to go back to shooting longbow later this year if health allows.
    So this would be a good time to rethink my technique (& possibly kit) and start new without bad habits!
    One thing that I recall, is that I always had to aim off to the right.
    Fellow archers said that that's always the way with longbow as the bow is 'in the way' and you need to shoot round it, by aiming a bit to the right.
    I think I had the correct spined arrows for the bow, but I'd be interested to hear whether there is a consensus of longbowists here who aim off to the right?
    Or have you found ways of shooting straight? (Eg, by altering spine or whatever.)
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Many thanks in advance for any input.
    Best wishes,
    Wayne.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 866 Posts
    When you say you are "aiming to the right" are you right handed and holding the bow to the right of the target... so perhaps the arrow is pointing at the target and the bow has to be pointing off to the right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    With arrows correctly matched to you and the bow, and your eye above the nock at full draw you shouldn't need to aim off.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Thanks
    I don't know what current practice dictates but when I shot longbow years ago, right handed, I always tilted the bow to the right about 5-10 degrees so it never obscured the target.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

In the Green
    Thanks
    Hi folks, thank you for your replies.
    Yes im right handed, so the arrow sits on the left side of the bow. If I aim at the centre line (eg at gold) the arrow will land to the left of the boss. So I have to adjust my aim to aim somewhere right of the centre line in order to hit centre.
    So that shouldn't be necessary?
    Does that mean arrows too stiff?
    It would be really nice to be able to aim with arrow point at centre line. One less variable to control!

I might try canting the bow. My worry there is that I might not get the same angle of cant each time, and so add even more inconsistencies to my already wobbly form! 😂

Might the answer lie in arrow shopping?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynefb2002 View Post
    Hi folks, thank you for your replies.
    Yes im right handed, so the arrow sits on the left side of the bow. If I aim at the centre line (eg at gold) the arrow will land to the left of the boss. So I have to adjust my aim to aim somewhere right of the centre line in order to hit centre.
    So that shouldn't be necessary?
    Does that mean arrows too stiff?
    It would be really nice to be able to aim with arrow point at centre line. One less variable to control!

I might try canting the bow. My worry there is that I might not get the same angle of cant each time, and so add even more inconsistencies to my already wobbly form! 😂

Might the answer lie in arrow shopping?
    More information would help, draw weight and length, what's the bow made of, details of arrows, material, spine, point weight.
    Try drawing up in front of a big mirror. The nock and point of the arrow should line up with the reflection of the nock and the point, thus showing that your eye is above the nock.
    If you anchor to the side of your face and the nock is to the right of your eye, the arrow will fly left of your sight line. Changing anchor, or tilting the head can sort it out.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast