Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longbow Coaching

In the Green
    Thanks

Longbow Coaching

Anyone know of any *good* technical longbow coaches near London / Herts
    We've got longbow archers in the club but no-one really good at coaching and a couple of juniors who could do with someone able to look at them occasionally and help them develop
    They're already county class shooters

Thanks
    Nicki

In the Blue The Fonz Award. Harold's Eye,It wasn't me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Get rid of any shooting gloves, use modern tabs. Get your arrows matched …. and shoot like a recurve! Posture, set, set up, align and execute.
    If trees screamed would we still cut them down?
    Well, if they screamed constantly for no reason ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Harold's Eye,It wasn't me For This Useful Post:

ben tarrow (04-01-19)

Thanks
    Have you approached your county archery association? They may have coaching available, especially if they are already county standard.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

Thanks
    Your county association appears to be fairly well organised with relation to coaching:

http://hertsarchery.org.uk/content/coaching-3/coaching/

Why not give them a shout first. Failing that, if perhaps they are more recurve orientated rather than longbow then why not drop a line to the British Longbow Society (based in Thatcham) to see if they have any coaches in in your locale who may be available for ad hoc tutoring.

If as you say they are already county level then they can’t be doing too much wrong already and I agree with HaroldsEye that well matched arrows are an essential. Also consistent posture and shot execution are definitely the way to repeated high scores.

How far are you hoping to develop them?

I do shoot with a modern tab as I cannot get on with a glove but I wouldn’t rule gloves out as we have incredible GMB longbowmen locally who shoot with gloves.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue The Fonz Award. Harold's Eye,It wasn't me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karl

Yes you are of course right that a well fitting glove that works without affecting the string path is just as good as a tab. My post was a bit tongue in cheek (but with a serious message) that if you want to shoot top longbow scores you have to forget the notion that there is some secret way of shooting a longbow that is vastly different to other bows.

Don't buy a huge poundage bow and draw it 'approximately' half way to a constant reference point "because that's what longbows do!". Don't focus on drawing the bow for exactly 1.5 seconds each shot "because the fibres stretch consistently that way". This is all stuff I was told that (for me) ended up being completely false.

I have found that shooting like a recurve, and by that I mean focusing on a consistency in the shot set up and execution, works best. I often say "you either want to be involved in re-inactment or compete in a 21st century sport - you can't do both". I have no problem with people getting joy out of shooting 'traditionally' that's great, but the original poster for me sounds like they want to compete?

The big difference as you also say is in getting great kit especially arrows. I just helped another longbower the other day by shooting their bow with their arrows and mine (bow was same poundage). We could both group much better with my arrows that their shop bought set. Doubt there was any thought to consistency in the make up of their arrows. Definitely first call for me to get some matched arrows.

Love all longbowers!!
    If trees screamed would we still cut them down?
    Well, if they screamed constantly for no reason ..

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 935 Posts
    Nice post!
    Out of interest, a new archer at the club where I shoot, has chosen to go barebow recurve and also shoot longbow. After one session he was suffering with a sore index finger on the end by the nail and where he would appear to be rubbing the top side of the arrow nock at full draw. I almost suggested wearing a glove as that could protect the area in question, that was not protected by his tab.
    Is that a good idea or better to sort out how he positions his fingers on the string?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast