Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Discuss Motivation gone at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange Forums; Me and my son (now aged 9) took up compound archery in January and have ...
    In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks

Motivation gone

Me and my son (now aged 9) took up compound archery in January and have both progressed reasonably; he's done pretty well and won a couple of things (usually because he's the only one in his category but he is genuinely pretty decent), I peaked early then have been a bit up and down, a switch to a thumb trigger from a wrist release being my biggest set back - getting used to it and improving but still behind my best wrist release scores (I haven't had it long TBF).
    Now I have spent a FORTUNE on kit - probably 2k this year. Hoyt Ignite (sold for 150) then a Mybo Origin, 300 on good sights, 400 on arrows (a set of 12 ACGs then had a run of losing them so replaced some) plus the bow for my son and his arrows (far cheaper but still a chunk of money).

Our club is brilliant - lovely outdoor range, encouraging to our son, nice people with a new location for the indoor season.

But... I'm really struggling to get enthused. We missed the Friday shoot partly because we just didn't feel like going - it's further away being about a 30-40 minute drive and it's late for my son; starts at 7pm, finished at 9ish. We do a Wednesday shoot at another location (30 mins away) but it's even later.

Not quite sure what to do - I have all this kit, am not too bad overall, have overcome (or am overcoming!) a number of challenges but the motivation is just not there.

Anyone else had the doldrums like this? Any suggestions?

We do a LOT of other activities - I surf a lot, run a lot and all sorts. My son is good at karate and doing well at other things so archery was never going to be a main activity but just something we wanted to learn and enjoy - which we mostly have.

I'm fairly sure I'll never be anything special due to these other commitments but I reckon my son has potential - but the thought of driving him miles away to do a tournament (we did two at our club - one just the club which was good, one inter club which was just far too long) doesn't appeal.

Hmmmm....
    Mybo Origin

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Thanks
    If you cant be bothered to go after only starting 9 months ago, I would say you should seriously think about selling your kit and focussing on stuff you have motivation for.....
    AlexNoodles likes this.

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes. We all get motivational ups and downs. Constantly. For me it's the threat of a looming tournament that gets me out in all weathers. I'm also good with Newtoyitis. If I've a gadget to play with I get a lot more arrows through the bow.
    I think I recall you saying you shoot at home too. Nothing wrong with continuing with that while you get it back together. I shoot 5 days a week. If I'm not in the mood it might only be 30 arrows (3 ends of 10) which isn't ideal but it keeps things ticking over. On lovely days I'll do 3 times that and it only takes an hour. If it's raining I shoot 6yds in the house. Maybe the garage is good for you. But it's still getting muscle memory going and is just blank boss. A lot of the indoor season is about ingraining technique out of weather issues so it's a good thing to do, but if you have safe facilities at home it doesn't have to be a drive and a late night.
    For your son, a trip to the club once a month if you know he can spend some time with a coach to check on form and give him areas to work on is a good idea.
    But archery is about repetition. Lots of it.
    Kernowlad likes this.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks
    Motivation...
    I've been through periods where I didn't shoot much (or at all...). What always brought me back in was just doing it. Not competitions. Not "progress". Just shooting. Even just talking about shooting (this forum brought me back into it at least once).

The question is : do you want to shoot? Not win. Not "be the best" or even "be the best I can be". That can follow later, if necessary. But if you don't want to get out and shoot, then why do it?
    Kernowlad likes this.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank Rik and Toad -useful posts!
    I think I'll shoot a few now. The suns out!
    Mybo Origin

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowlad View Post
    Me and my son (now aged 9) took up compound archery in January and have both progressed reasonably; he's done pretty well and won a couple of things (usually because he's the only one in his category but he is genuinely pretty decent), I peaked early then have been a bit up and down, a switch to a thumb trigger from a wrist release being my biggest set back - getting used to it and improving but still behind my best wrist release scores (I haven't had it long TBF).
    Now I have spent a FORTUNE on kit - probably 2k this year. Hoyt Ignite (sold for 150) then a Mybo Origin, 300 on good sights, 400 on arrows (a set of 12 ACGs then had a run of losing them so replaced some) plus the bow for my son and his arrows (far cheaper but still a chunk of money).

Our club is brilliant - lovely outdoor range, encouraging to our son, nice people with a new location for the indoor season.

But... I'm really struggling to get enthused. We missed the Friday shoot partly because we just didn't feel like going - it's further away being about a 30-40 minute drive and it's late for my son; starts at 7pm, finished at 9ish. We do a Wednesday shoot at another location (30 mins away) but it's even later.

Not quite sure what to do - I have all this kit, am not too bad overall, have overcome (or am overcoming!) a number of challenges but the motivation is just not there.

Anyone else had the doldrums like this? Any suggestions?

We do a LOT of other activities - I surf a lot, run a lot and all sorts. My son is good at karate and doing well at other things so archery was never going to be a main activity but just something we wanted to learn and enjoy - which we mostly have.

I'm fairly sure I'll never be anything special due to these other commitments but I reckon my son has potential - but the thought of driving him miles away to do a tournament (we did two at our club - one just the club which was good, one inter club which was just far too long) doesn't appeal.

Hmmmm....
    Mmm, you've discovered that you can't BUY skill. Now its got hard and you're thinking "I didnt expect to have to put in any EFFORT". Yu've reached the point that separates the "here today, somewhere else tomorrow" archers from the "still here and working hard at improving" archers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast