Was my serving too loose/tight?

SW41

A couple of months ago I put some new Diamond Back 0.22 centre serving on my string (8125). I noticed that the bottom nock point kept on slipping downwards ever so slightly.

Today the nock point part of the serving then came away - all the rest of the serving was fine.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why, after only a couple of months, the nock point serving split away. It must be connected to the fact that the bottom nock point was slipping?

Any theories why this split so soon? I only get to practice once a week on average. Have I put the wrong type of serving on or not served it tight enough?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, I am not too clear about the problem here. When you say the bottom nock point kept slipping down, was that a brass, clip- on item or a thread tied onto the string? When things slipped down, was there any signs of the centre serving spreading apart showing the bare bowstring underneath?
Last question, when the nock point serving split away leaving the rest of the serving "looking fine", does that mean the serving between two brass clips came away while the bits above and below stayed in place? Or was it just the thread that makes the nock point coming away from the centre serving?

SW41

Hi - it was two bits of thread tied on as nock points - tied tightly too - at least I thought and they were heated to melt it a bit.

I never noticed any fraying when the bottom nock slipped down. Seemed to fail all of a sudden.

It was only the serving between the two tied nock points that failed or so it seems.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Have I got this right now? The nocking points are tied in thread variety. The bottom one moved down then came off. The serving between the nock points has also failed.
Does that mean there are two loose ends of centre serving, where the failure took place? I would expect them to unwind, eventually, unless there is a little glue holding them in place.
When you put the nock points on, how close were they to touching the arrow nock? If you use serving thread there is a tendency for the arrow, in the power stroke, to push against the nocking points and spread them. It will take out the weaker one first. The centre serving may have been damaged when applying heat to the nock points or it could be that your nocks are a very tight fit to the string.I like to be able to twist the string within the nock, easily.
Perhaps a nock has some sharp edge on the inside of the slot.
Do you do your own serving?

SW41

Thanks - I reckon the lower nock point maybe wasn't as tight as it should be and moved causing the serving to pull down and split. It also could be that I've over heated it and damaged it.

The other additional thing could be the new nocks - I was using a new set of arrows.

I'll see if it happens again.

I've never used the brass clip on type - is there any advantage of using these as opposed to thread?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The brass nock sets are popular with many but I never use them. They are quicker to fit and last longer but to off set that ; they are heavier and get in the way of the tab with some archers.
If your new arrows seemed a tighter fit on the string, than usual, they could have a different slot size.