Novice or 1st class?

robc

I started archery in 1979, shot 1st class up to 1983. I then had a gap until April this year. Shoul I be entering competitions as a 1st class archer still, or as a novice?

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I think a classification only lasts for that season, then you have to re-classify the following season. So "unclassified" in your case.

wingate_52

You always need to shoot and regain or surpass your classification.Shot my neccessary 1st class scores, but a long way off bowman.

Alex Greig

Unclassified means that you have not previously held a classification.

Not classified means that you did not shoot to get a classification in the previous year but have had one before that.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Definitely non-classified.

The rules of the system say something like: if you've had a classification in one year then failed to attain a classification in the following year, you are 'non-classified'. This is distinct from 'unclassified' which is reserved for people who have never attained a classification.

Your situation is complicated a bit, as you've never held a classification under the current system. The 1st class you used to hold was a stronger classification than the current first class (it overlapped with the current 'Bowman' class, which didn't then exist). But I'd still go with 'N/C'.

robc

Looks like non-classified for now then. Just have to shoot a few rounds & get my classification back. Many thanks for the advice. Robc