CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
Discuss Oh dear... at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange Forums; So I started in January alongside my son (8); got a Hoyt Ignite and a ...
    In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh dear...

So I started in January alongside my son (8); got a Hoyt Ignite and a wrist release, got him a Ruckus.

Things went well - we progressed, I moved onto a proper sight, went backwards. Got used to the sight, progressed.
    Went outdoors, my aluminium arrows wouldn't reach 60 yards, got a set of ACGs - 80 yards was now okay.

Upgraded my bow to an Origin and increased the poundage to 55 (from 50 on the Hoyt) - all fine and groups were fairly decent. Shot in the pouring rain, scored okay but trashed three arrows and the wrist release appeared to stretch - my anchor point was suddenly behind my head. Shot my first tournament, a hell of a slog and found the non anchor point a real PITA but did okayish (but last in my group!!), felt a bit despondent, decided I needed a shorter, solid release. Tried a really decent wrist release and a hinge thanks to two very helpful members here - the wrist release was much better than mine but I wanted a shorter distance to the d-loop. Had a good go with the hinge and ended up really nervous - literally shaking with worry on each draw. Sort of started to get the hang of it but lost two ACG arrows (found one though).
    Bought a Carter Plain 1 thumb release as I wanted the security of a "closed" hook and a full finger loop - initially tried to shoot it like a back tension release and got nice results - 5 yellows and a red (very near the yellow) at 80 yards but accidentally hit the trigger twice and lost two more ACGs...Decided to try it as a normal trigger release and was okay in the garden (20 yards) then shot last night more to get sight marks in.
    TOTAL disaster - I was completely all over the place, missing the target at 50m (usually I'd get all/mostly yellows), lost FOUR ACGs but but found two thanks to the great guys at our club. At one point the release didn't seem to work at all and by the time it did, I have no idea where the arrow went (it was down the range though - not dangerous!). I actually just stopped shooting and packed up and watched my son - I have lost about 5 ACGs now, £25 each, all since changing from wrist to hand held release; I can't actually afford to lose any more.

So... I was borderline going to throw in the towel last night. I've spent a FORTUNE on kit (I'd say around £2k since January) but seem to be chasing my tail. I improve (and enjoy it) then go backwards. It's now costing me a lot. My coach is adamant that the hand held release is the way forward but I'm starting to wonder.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Clearly I'm not using the release right and it appears to go off almost randomly (I didn't plan on a "surprise" release device but this seems to be one). I've also found myself in the slightly odd position of being a bit "nervous" of my bow.

So hang in there, practise to death in the garden at very short ranges, give up on the release and go back to wrist or just cry a bit?

On the upside my son shot really well. As he gets better I seem to get worse.
    Mybo Origin

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue

Thanks
    You need to get your coach to actually watch what your doing and pinpoint what your doing wrong.... If its a thumb trigger, when do you put your thumb on? I would think you should draw and anchor with your thumb nowhere near, retain back tension, then put your thumb on and trigger when your ready.
    I would also say that 80yds is a bit of a stretch to try new kit out on, I would stick with 10yds till you get the feel of it, then maybe go up to 40 and then 80 once you have your confidence back.
    Changing release type is a big change for compound, and your a new shooter too, so I think your trying to take too big a step at once. Id go back to your ali's at short range and settle in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker74 View Post
    You need to get your coach to actually watch what your doing and pinpoint what your doing wrong.... If its a thumb trigger, when do you put your thumb on? I would think you should draw and anchor with your thumb nowhere near, retain back tension, then put your thumb on and trigger when your ready.
    I would also say that 80yds is a bit of a stretch to try new kit out on, I would stick with 10yds till you get the feel of it, then maybe go up to 40 and then 80 once you have your confidence back.
    Changing release type is a big change for compound, and your a new shooter too, so I think your trying to take too big a step at once. Id go back to your ali's at short range and settle in.
    I initially drew it back (thumb trigger) at the same angle I anchored at; that seemed pretty accurate but my thumb was just too close to the trigger and set it off accidentally twice. So now I draw it back parallel to my bow with my thumb well clear then move it outwards once anchored - then move my thumb over the trigger and...usually miss (at the moment!).
    I am fairly sure using like a back tension device is the best way forward but not certain. Someone mentioned using my inner thumb/crease rather than my thumb tip - I've tried both.

What I seem to be suffering from is the dreaded target panic/punching but not sure how to sort it.
    Fairly sure if I do get the hang of it, it'll be good but it's an expensive learning curve at the moment!
    Mybo Origin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker74 View Post
    Yup, pull a target back to 10m and spend time getting to know your release. At home you can attach a loop to a piece of cord and practice without your bow.

You might also try setting the trigger "heavy" if you're concerned about setting it off accidentally. You also need the thumb peg in the right place - somewhere where you can't set it off during the draw but where it's also in a convenient position to get your thumb around it.

I shoot a thumb release like a back tension - I don't trigger it on purpose, I pull through the shot.

Sent from my SM-A310Y using Tapatalk
    Kernowlad likes this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by urbin View Post
    Yup, pull a target back to 10m and spend time getting to know your release. At home you can attach a loop to a piece of cord and practice without your bow.

You might also try setting the trigger "heavy" if you're concerned about setting it off accidentally. You also need the thumb peg in the right place - somewhere where you can't set it off during the draw but where it's also in a convenient position to get your thumb around it.

I shoot a thumb release like a back tension - I don't trigger it on purpose, I pull through the shot.

Sent from my SM-A310Y using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm hoping to achieve. Got the hang of it on a loop of string, can't seem to translate it to my bow! One day (I hope)!
    Mybo Origin

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think the fact that you've changed equipment so much this season is part of the problem.
    You're really new to the sport but have very high-end expectations - it takes years to hit serious standard and some never do - otherwise we'd all be doing it! You must have spent years getting to your level in your previous sports. Archery is no different, and compound archery the worst, because it's so equipment based; you need to be very comfortable with your equipment before you can get form into shape then performance will follow.

So. 10m in the garden. *lots* of shots. Get settled with your equipment. Work out your nerves - it's a newbie thing (I don't shoot compound very often and have the same thing, but it will settle) and the more you shoot the more you'll gain in confidence. A lot of archery is about muscle memory and programming the subconscious. More shots is going to help. Then get some video of you shooting at the club. Work out where in your form you need to be concentrating. Of course, don't overdo it - injury is more likely the older you get and archery uses quite a unique set of muscles.

The indoor season is ideal for getting into new kit and working through form issues, so this is an ideal time to settle in for the slog.
    Kernowlad likes this.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast