Pool/snooker

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Stayed in the rather swish Babington Hotel on Monday and had a game of pool with the wife (it was our 18th anniversary) and something struck me - striking a pool ball has a very similar mental setup to shooting a bow.
There's a calm period of aiming, then the anticipation of the shot followed by the shot itself; but it's too easy to "panic" and twitch, missing that shot.

A bit random but I did smile to myself. :poulies:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Agreed! The shot we are going to make has to be taken in the way we plan to shoot all of them. Like this( miming the shot)
Problems start when we don't follow that plan and get stuck thinking of something, or feeling something, like nerves or panic. They weren't in the mime/plan. We allow them entry... almost out of habit.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Agreed! The shot we are going to make has to be taken in the way we plan to shoot all of them. Like this( miming the shot)
Problems start when we don't follow that plan and get stuck thinking of something, or feeling something, like nerves or panic. They weren't in the mime/plan. We allow them entry... almost out of habit.

Johnh159

I find that shooting a bow is much like making love to a beautiful woman.
The mental preparation, visualising the execution.
Setting a firm base.
Zen calm
Deep breath
Then a slow smooth draw.
Find a good anchour
Expand and release.

Swiss Tony

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I find that shooting a bow is much like making love to a beautiful woman.
The mental preparation, visualising the execution.
Setting a firm base.
Zen calm
Deep breath
Then a slow smooth draw.
Find a good anchour
Expand and release.

Swiss Tony
And when a guy fails to reach anchor, he looks round sheepishly and mutters something about how that "almost never happens"...

WinBase

Many sports require similar skillsets to archery - pool/snooker as you say, golf & darts being some others. it's all (obviously) about hand/eye co-ordination and timing, mental discipline, as well as being 'target focused'. Ive played all the above to a reasonable level, and the words 'paralysis by analysis' come to mind - when you're playing well you dont really think about what your doing, it just happens, (you are 'in the zone'), and although practice ingrains the right (or wrong) habits, unfortunately most of us cant give our best to order every time, but the overriding mental thought i believe all sportsmen should have is to know what you are trying to achieve, and planning how best to get there, which should come before all else - the words hope & luck never figure in it. GL

Hawkmoon

Back on track, I think the main thing that lots of sports including golf have in common with archery is a lack of tension, you need to be in complete control but completely relaxed in order to execute a perfect release or swing. Any tension stops the smooth progress that we need, a high jumper or sprinter will tell you the same thing, about how they feel "loose" before giving their best performance. Yes Johnh it is exactly the same in the bedroom, tension is the number one cause of poor performance and loose of control ......or so I hear, never had any problems with "tension" myself so couldn't comment .....what dear ?....no no this is something completely difference.......no I told you I was just very tired that's all..........