Pressure Points on Bow Hand

Witchie Poo Cat

Hi guys

I wonder if I can ask for your opinions.

I got my new limbs today - yippee - but they are heavier poundage now 24lbs (22lbs effective draw weight due to my draw length) as opposed to 16lbs which Ive been previously using on my beginners course.

Got home tonight, strung the bow and started practicing a little just drawing, hold for 5 then let down. Although this is not causing me pain, my shoulder just makes a weird grinding noise for some reason (my sacroiliac is the same so its probably just creaky bones!) Ive noticed that the pad on my bow hand between thumb and forefinger is very red and sore. So, my questions are:

1) Is this normal after increasing bow weight?
2) Do you guys wear any kind of padding/glove on bow hand, can you buy a suitable product or is it best to custom make your own!?
3) If this is unusual, could it be my form thats bad and needs correcting?

I must admit this new bow is going to work my muscles quite a lot but the guy at the shop, who is also my coach, said that after using the easy bows on the beginners course (which he informs me are light so you can concentrate on form) this is about right. He watched me draw several times in the shop and said my shoulder alignment wasnt rising which apparently is evident of pulling a bow thats too heavy.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that a) Im not going for something too heavy and b) that this is normal and what I can do about it.

Incidentally, I switched the hand grip to the original one which is a bit slimmer, and although its more comfortable generally still has the pressure pad issue.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated as always :)

Hugs

Witchie Poo Ct

buzz lite beer

Welcome to the pain and suffering that is archery, I think we have all gone through such pain, though it might be an idea to ease into your new set up at a slower pace, listen to your body stop when it starts hurting, Little and often. I some how have managed to now shoot 45lb+ recurve and 29" draw started as fully grown adult with 34lb and 27" draw,

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
WPC. Pain is not acceptable.You may feel uncomfortable while holding the bow but it should not last once the shot is over.
Drawing a bow will leave a mark on the pressure points on the hand. That's normal. It is useful to see where those points are as it indicates whether the bow is being held properly or not.Most of the redness should be on the thumb muscle and on the web. Sore, sounds like the result of rubbing, as if the grip is slipping round in your hand. A glove can mask the problem but I'd rather find the cause than hide it. Sometimes drawing a bow, with no intention of shooting it, can cause the archer to notice pain that is not there when shooting normally.
This is something to resolve. If you don't have the answer you want, keep asking. See what happens when you shoot. Can you post a photo of your hand in the bow at full draw?

Witchie Poo Cat

There is a bit of a burning sensation in the bow hand during the shot and afterwards it feels a little tender. Here is a photo of bow grip at full draw as requested together with one of the sore patch although its kinda hard to make out...

cliveanne

Ironman
it looks to me as if you have a low wrist, leading to partial "Palming". Perhaps if you could come to full draw with a higher wrist... Also, does your "Grip have a seam running down the centre of it? looks like something's been rubbing.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Not trying to confuse the issue (but probably succeeding) but I came to the opposite conclusion to cliveanne. Although i agree that it looks like there is some friction there from torquing the grip.
It appears to me that to pressure point is too high (on the 'webbing of your hand between the thumb and forefinger). Try placing the pressure point vertically below where it is now. Try to picture where the line of your lower arm bone is - a much stronger postion and better padded on your hand. Have one of the coaches explain high/low wrist grips tomorrow night.

gwildor

Witchie Poo Cat said:
Hi guys

I wonder if I can ask for your opinions.

I got my new limbs today - yippee - but they are heavier poundage now 24lbs (22lbs effective draw weight due to my draw length) as opposed to 16lbs which Ive been previously using on my beginners course.

Got home tonight, strung the bow and started practicing a little just drawing, hold for 5 then let down. Although this is not causing me pain, my shoulder just makes a weird grinding noise for some reason (my sacroiliac is the same so its probably just creaky bones!) Ive noticed that the pad on my bow hand between thumb and forefinger is very red and sore. So, my questions are:

1) Is this normal after increasing bow weight?
2) Do you guys wear any kind of padding/glove on bow hand, can you buy a suitable product or is it best to custom make your own!?
3) If this is unusual, could it be my form thats bad and needs correcting?

I must admit this new bow is going to work my muscles quite a lot but the guy at the shop, who is also my coach, said that after using the easy bows on the beginners course (which he informs me are light so you can concentrate on form) this is about right. He watched me draw several times in the shop and said my shoulder alignment wasnt rising which apparently is evident of pulling a bow thats too heavy.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that a) Im not going for something too heavy and b) that this is normal and what I can do about it.

Incidentally, I switched the hand grip to the original one which is a bit slimmer, and although its more comfortable generally still has the pressure pad issue.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated as always :)

Hugs

Witchie Poo Ct
WPC hiya just mailed you as the last one was sent to your trash bin, thought id tell you, to have a look,some info attached about setup and hand grip e.c.t:arc: :arc:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
WPC. The plastic grip on your bow looks like it is a high grip variety. That puts your hand in a high wrist position. The redness is nearly all in one small patch near the web. Thae could be the cause of the soreness. It looks as if your hand is being squeezed into the throat of the grip. If there are different grips available for the bow, a low grip version could solve the problem.

Witchie Poo Cat

Graham - thanks for your email, have sent you an email :)

Geoff - Funnily enough, I did have a wooden grip on the riser but when I started getting sore I swapped it to the slimmer plastic grip thinking it would be more comfortable but still the same problem :thumbsdow

It does appear that the general concensus is that my problem is caused by to high/low wrist so definitely need to see the coach about that. Is it common for a beginner to have this problem when increasing the draw weight of their bow? The coaches have been happy with my form so far so assume the new bow is to blame (of course, it could never be MY fault :raspberry )

Thanks!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
WPC increasing draw weight puts more pressure onto all the parts of the body that are involved in the draw. If there is a bit of a problem in one aspect, that can feel worse under the higher poundage. The wooden grip may look very different but there is a chance that the part called the throat is very similar on both. Hence the similar problem. Hands are so different that mass produced grips are a compromise, and for some a very poor substitute for a tailor made one.
Every bow I've owned (except one) had to have the grip modified. Perhaps I'm fussy!);:cheerful:

Witchie Poo Cat

Would someone be able to post a photograph of what the bow hand SHOULD look like at full draw so I can compare?

Also, should the bow grip be aligned with the centre of the base of the hand, i.e. the part between the two fleshy pads at the base of the palm of your hand? I just noticed hubby holds his bow with the grip resting on the fleshy pad thats on side opposite (furthest away from) the thumb and I try, unsuccessfully obviously, to line up the grip with the dip inbetween these two fleshy pads.

Im confused now! lol

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
WPC In your own photo, see how the fingers are positioned round the bow? They are nearly horizontal. If you turn your wrist a little, clockwise as you see it when outstretched, the fingers will turn and point more down the bow. Doing that will bring the line, between the two pads, further away from the grip, just a little. That is what you want. The thumb should still point ahead and be relaxed.
When you are shooting, at full draw, the arrow will appear above and in line with the wrist bone that is closest to the thumb.
NO camera to help I'm afraid.I'm sure someone will post a photo. If not post another of your own with the changes.Possibly one taken from just above the bowarm elbow.

Witchie Poo Cat

Geoff

I did a quick search on google for photos of bow hand grip and one tip I noticed was that all 4 knuckles should be visible to the archer. On my original photo none of my knuckles were visible! This maybe explains the problem, my hand was too far around the grip. Have tried to alter the fingers as suggested and the bow still presses but its not as sore, just gets tender after a while, rather than the burning sensation I had before.

is this what you mean...

Incidentally on viewing the photo it looks like the bow is not inline with my arm but when looking down the bow whilst holding it the bow is in perfect alignment! Asked hubby and he said when taking the photo the bow and arm looked straight to his eye too, but the final picture looks like it is twisted slightly to one side. hmmm...very weird! My coaches have their work cut out tomorrow I think!

Mufti

Is it my turn to comment yet???

Can I ask if you FEEL any movement (left to right) as you are pulling to full draw between your hand and the grip?
Also WHEN does it hurt (as it surely must by the looks of the redness) - is it as you are drawing or as you get to full draw?

When asked, I suggest to other archers to get the wrist joint(s) fully behind the pressure point (wherever that is) of the hand.

I read what you say that the photo "looks" like your hand is to one side, but I am asking about the wrist itself and not the hand.

It just seems there is rubbing left and right, not the high / low options mentioned earlier.

Is it possible to have alergic reation to plastic?
Tried wrapping some sort of tape around the grip?

As always, ask a coach, this armchair archery is such fun though!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Good ideas Mufti,( I would have asked that too if someone hadn't jumped the queue.));:cheerful: Actually, I wouldn't, so it's a good job you did.
The photos looks fine. The bow does appear to be facing a different way but perhaps that's camera distortion. Can you see how the knuckle of the index finger is higher than the thumb? If you held your hand out without the bow, but in the same manner, you would find the index knuckle is even higher. The grip is trying to press the finger knuckle down level with the thumb. This seems to be a feature of most grips. Sometimes, the sore patch is created by the joint rubbing into the small gap between the plastic grip and the riser along with the pressure forcing it down. I think you are very close to having your hand position sorted. Then see how it feels when shooting.

Witchie Poo Cat

Ok, to answer the points you made since my last post:

Can I ask if you FEEL any movement (left to right) as you are pulling to full draw between your hand and the grip? - No, I cant feel any movement left to right

Also WHEN does it hurt (as it surely must by the looks of the redness) - is it as you are drawing or as you get to full draw? - It hurts only at full draw, I can feel the grip pressing hard on the hand but, since adjusting the fingers to an angle it has gone from a burning sensation to just a dull pressure feeling.

It just seems there is rubbing left and right, not the high / low options mentioned earlier. It feels more like the sheer draw weight against the hand is whats causing the pain rather than friction but could be that im just not seeing it.

Is it possible to have alergic reation to plastic? - nope, its not that, was using a wooden grip originally and only swapped it to the plastic one when i started getting the burning sensation.

Tried wrapping some sort of tape around the grip? - I think that would cause more seams and therefore more friction but worth bearing in mind.

Geoff - if it starts to become evident that the grip really isnt suitable I will definitely look into getting one of those "Make your own grip" type things and hopefully that will help a lot.

Roll on tomorrow, I will certainly let you all know what the coaches say about it.

Thanks as always for all the responses :)

GreenSteve

ello had a similar problem wiht my daughter when we started archer,
it was simply the pressure of the bow at full draw + soft hands
was easily fixed with tennis racket handle tape nice soft padded grip for her

joetapley

First off I would get a wrist sling so you don't need to grip the bow.
Second I would try to get the feeling of a "relaxed" wrist at full draw.
Third you could try conciously dropping the feeling of where the pressure point is towards the base of the thumb pad (bend the wrist). This will spread the load over a bigger area and take it away from the finger web.