Prodigy XT Brace Height

RMH

Hi, I have a 27inch Prodigy XT riser with Quatro shorts and was wondering if any of you run the same set up or if anyone could advise me on where about the brace height should be for this? I have tried from 8-8 1/2 inch but it seems a little noisy and the arrows are not grouping brilliantly. I thought I would ask before taking it any higher.
Many Thanks

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Can't speak to Hoyt kit but noise usually means contact. Tried a heavier spine?

RMH

Hoyt seem to have changed their recommended brace heights on the new bows but I can give them a try I guess. I am currently drawing 46lb at 28inch and shooting Carnivore 500's cut to 29inch. Am off tomorrow to arm myself with some ACC's and according to the Easton chart I should be in the 500 region?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Don't ask me, I'm a Border shooter, so at 46 and my dl I'll be wanting a 450 or 400. Plus I guess you're pushing the envelope using a long riser and short limbs, so I guess you'll need a higher BH. Are your limbs wound in or out?

RMH

Don't ask me, I'm a Border shooter, so at 46 and my dl I'll be wanting a 450 or 400. Plus I guess you're pushing the envelope using a long riser and short limbs, so I guess you'll need a higher BH. Are your limbs wound in or out?
The limbs are half way at the moment. I used to be a Border shooter until recently, Black Douglas, Covert Hunter.

RMH

The limbs are half way at the moment. I used to be a Border shooter until recently, Black Douglas, Covert Hunter.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ok, I asked because that will affect the preload on your limbs if you raise the bh. Effectively it's a conventional limbed 68" bow, so I'd think you could go up to 9" without risking damage. Slow things down a bit though, I'd guess.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Next question: do you measure your dl to the throat or to the back of the bow (the bit furthest away from you)?

RMH

My draw length to the back of the bow (AMO) is 29.5 inch, my arrows are cut to 29 inch which gives me around half inch of arrow in front of the button when anchored.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
So your actual dl is nearly 30" as Easton measure them for the purposes of their charts, which means you'll need to look at a different group. If the weight on your fingers is 46lbs, you should be looking at a 450, maybe more if you are using a heavy point. And if 46lbs is what's marked on your limbs, you'll need to go stiffer again, but in that case I think you'd be best off getting hold of bow scales and measuring before spending any cash.

dottorfoggy

i have a 27" prodigy XT and long limbs for a 72" bow, 34" AMO and they recommend 8" to 9" brace, i must have 10" to avoid noise and have a good grouping

RMH

I popped along to Bow sports and bare shafted some ACC's with the BH at 8 3/4 inch. Ended up with 3-28 500 spine cut to 29inch with 70g Hyperspeed Nib points, bareshafting very slightly weak at 20yds. Got them home and fletched with 50mm XS wings and they are like the proverbial darts! Happy days lol