CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Discuss Recurve bare shaft- effect of spine change at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange Forums; Assuming you are shooting at 30m, if x spine gave a 30cm gap between fletched ...
    In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Thanks

Recurve bare shaft- effect of spine change

Assuming you are shooting at 30m, if x spine gave a 30cm gap between fletched and unfletched groups showing the shafts to be too stiff, how much smaller would that distance be by changing down one spine group? This assumes the bow is set up for the new arrow and everything else is equal.....

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What a great question. It's a bit like saying " my bare shafts are 30" away at 30m what spine change will bring them together?"
    I would guess the 30" in your case would be halved.... but that is only a guess. But someone will be better able to give an accurate answer.
    Perhaps ,though, the differences change as draw weights change; or arrow lengths.
    z-head likes this.

Rik
    Thanks
    You could test this...
    wind your weight all the way down, do a bare shaft test. Wind the weight up to the top (same settings) repeat the test.
    But I suspect the results are not so easily predictable and may be non-linear...

One potential answer "30cm or more" - assuming the lower spine group is a match... if it isn't a match then the answer might be "zero difference" - assuming the 30cm is a limiting case at the distance you're using for the test. But if the button offset etc are reset for the new shaft then grounds for comparison are already gone. If that basic setup is not done then the test isn't done properly
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Rik, I'm not following that at all.

Rik
    Thanks
    Well, if the aim is to see what the result of a change in the match of the shafts is, then it's probably more useful to know how much you can improve the match by adjusting the draw weight...

The rest of the comments are to do with the mechanics of the thing:
    If the shafts are way too stiff, then the next size down may also be way too stiff, so there may be no visible change in results. If the next size down is supposed to be correct, then you'd expect to be able to bring the bare shafts and fletched together, hence could be the whole 30cm different.

Thing is, you tend to be changing things to minimise the group placement difference. Draw weight, button settings. Which makes the comparison between two sizes of shafts indirect at best.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Rik, Thanks for that. I follow what you are saying.
    I was looking at this as a beginner might(not mbaker74)

"My bare shafts are XXX far from the group, do I need one spine weaker or two?"
    It seemed to me to be a question we often get posted but rarely in those terms. They tend to ask about the distance between fletched and bare shafts and whether that is too much or can they do anything with the button etc etc.
    Mbaker's wording seems like a useful way of asking for help with spine.
    I also see the use of knowing what weight adjustments can be made. Sometimes draw weight changes seem like the obvious way to go, but then I have to bear in mind, I am not the one drawing the string with 2 lbs extra to struggle with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast