Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Risers Just a Handle?

In the Gold
    Thanks

Are Risers Just a Handle?

I have just been reading a post in an archery gear for sale site and the discussion was about advice given to a customer by an archery shop assistant.

The customer was asking about improving their archery and was considering investing in a more expensive riser.

The comment was made by the assistant "The riser is just a handle. If you want to improve buy better limbs".

With the cost of some risers in the hundreds of pounds/dollars this statement seems to imply that it is not necessarily the best option to buy more expensive kit. I appreciate that some archers are 'bling' orientated and will always want the latest kit. I also appreciate that the quality of the limbs can effect performance.

I use a Fiberbow 6.9 riser which I purchased to get a light riser as I am getting on in years, so that was a genuine reason for the purchase. I have noticed that the weight of some carbon risers is not much different to metal ones. So why go for carbon?

Yesterday I saw an advert for a 25" CNC machined Aluminium riser on sale 'new' for less that 150.00! Can a riser that costs a fraction of more expensive ones be a better option?

What do you think about that statement?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    at it's most basic, yes, it's just a handle... at the same time, different designs will have different feels, different geometries will have different effects. more complex designs will cost more to produce, and more features will also add to that.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    As long as the cheap riser has enough adjustment that stays where it is put and all the geometry is correct and the weight is not too much for the archer. Then yes it may well be a better option if the lower price would enable the purchase of better limbs, stabs and arrows
    As for the statement it's up to the archer to decide how much of the shot is down to the riser and how much is down to the rest of the gear.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    at it's most basic, yes, it's just a handle... at the same time, different designs will have different feels, different geometries will have different effects. more complex designs will cost more to produce, and more features will also add to that.
    What he said, plus a better made handle is more likely to be straight, and have well made and tolerance slots for your ilf limbs (and I have seen some serious dodginess).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Maybe a little contrarian, but I think it does make a difference to that elusive (or should that be illusive? ) "feel".
    I was surprised that I could feel the difference in the handle between my old KG1 and a mid-to-top W&W back in the late '90s.

The real difference, I think, is that in a more expensive handle, you hope they've put in the design work (modelling etc) to get a good result, rather than just letting someone loose with pictures of other bows and a cad tool...
    But that doesn't mean a "cheap" riser is bad (so long as the QA is good) , especially if it's from a company which has the tools and does the modelling... So I'd probably be more inclined to trust a budget model from a company which produces good premium risers... But it all depends on where they choose to cut costs.

I'd probably agree, "limbs first", but the handle shouldn't be ignored. But even more than that "coaching first"... Handle and limbs kind of pale into the background compared to work on your shooting.

Carbon handles... I have to admit this is something which puzzles me too. Surely the major advantage of carbon is to cut weight while keeping a stiff riser? Then you can add weight where you want it, where it will be more effective.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    It's the same argument with sights. At its most basic, it's just an aiming point that you adjust, you can buy one for 15 or 300. They do the same job, so why spend more? Well the expensive will be more repeatable, won't shoot itself loose, won't loose screws, probably has interchangeable sight pins etc etc... but buying a shibuya over a cartel sight won't make you shoot better....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast