Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same poundage, different make of limbs, can it really make that much difference?

In the Green
    Thanks

Unhappy Same poundage, different make of limbs, can it really make that much difference?

For background, I wanted to move up poundage so my coach loaned me a set of KG QIL carbon limbs to try out in the poundage I was thinking of. They were gorgeous, shot amazingly and I felt comfortable with the poundage so I went and bought a significantly cheaper set of SF Elite Fibre Foam in the same poundage.

Using the SF Elites I seem to have lost the ability to shoot. I do a combination of face walking, string walking and gap shooting (barebow archer) and the SFs require me to aim significantly higher than the QILs. Where I was shooting 70m with ease using the QILs, I'm struggling to find an aim point with the Elites because I have to aim so much higher.

So my question is, is this difference all in my head (like, am I psychologically screwing this up?) or can two makes of limbs really have this much difference?

And in relation to the previous question, if it's not in my head, do I persevere with the Elites or save up for some nice carbon limbs of my own?
    Is there anything I can do with the Elites straight away to try and improve them? I am supposed to be competing in my first ever WA70 on Sunday 19th but it feels like there's no point when I've gone from achieving BM scores to not even being about to hit 70m.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    First rule out all the physical stuff: Borrow a bowscale and weigh your limbs at your draw length. A couple of pounds here will make a lot of difference, no matter what's written on the limbs - it's common to have some variation. Compare that on a arrow selection chart and make sure your spine is in the ballpark. You'll find every pair of limbs tillers differently, so check yours are set up within reasonable limits - if in doubt check with your coach. If you are using the same string, it's probable your nocking point will need adjusting between the borrowed set and what you have. A minor tweak here will have a huge effect on your point of aim.
    My guess is it's one or a combination of the above. The QIL aren't regarded as a particularly fast limb these days - they're 20 years old, and the SFs will keep up.
    Last edited by Timid Toad; 13-05-18 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    I think it might be helpful to try to weigh both sets of limbs on your riser at your draw length. You may find, for example, that the Qil limbs have to be bent more from their relaxed state to get the string on the bow. That would translate into a higher draw weight at your draw length, and better sight marks.
    Other things could also end up making the QIL's faster; and knowing that might help you to feel that it isn't just you. Did you check the nocking point height with the SF limbs? That might be a bit higher, giving worse sight marks.( aiming points.)
    Did you check the tiller differences on both sets of limbs? If they are very different from one set to the other, there is another way that might be giving the poor results.
    Poor results can persuade us to feel we are shooting badly; and that can lead us into really shooting worse than we normally do.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    I think it might be helpful to try to weigh both sets of limbs on your riser at your draw length. You may find, for example, that the Qil limbs have to be bent more from their relaxed state to get the string on the bow. That would translate into a higher draw weight at your draw length, and better sight marks.
    Other things could also end up making the QIL's faster; and knowing that might help you to feel that it isn't just you. Did you check the nocking point height with the SF limbs? That might be a bit higher, giving worse sight marks.( aiming points.)
    Did you check the tiller differences on both sets of limbs? If they are very different from one set to the other, there is another way that might be giving the poor results.
    Poor results can persuade us to feel we are shooting badly; and that can lead us into really shooting worse than we normally do.
    Geoff do you ever read my posts?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    Hi TT.
    I almost always read your posts.
    On this particular thread, when I started to type my reply, no one else had posted anything. By the time I had finished my reply and pressed the send button, I noticed that your post had already arrived.
    I read your post as soon as I saw it and it seems we were saying much the same things.
    I quite often find a new post has arrived while I have been typing my reply.

In the Green
    Thanks
    Brain and bow does sound like a very me problem. Thank you both for the advice, honestly, reading that two of you think the same thing just tells me that I absolutely need to look at the set-up. I'm going to have a compare and a tune up tomorrow and see if I can trick the brain into thinking that the set-up is spot on and see if the shooting follows!
    Last edited by ginageorge; 13-05-18 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I am very bad with forums and clicked reply too soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast